CNN: What advice do you have to the American family setting out on the road?
- Go with a loose sense of destination.
- Don't go farther than your time easily allows, and try to move reasonably slowly.
- We're a nation of speeders: speeders in all sorts of things; we invented fast food.
- But speed and good travel aren't comfortable or useful companions.
- Speed is anathema to deep travel.
- If you want to learn the territory between your place of departure and where you end up, you have to have time and use it wisely.
- Speed corrupts travel far more than bad Chinese food.