Tuesday, July 14, 2009

God’s Country

Jill's Journal: The realization that our days in Kentucky are limited has me feeling a bit melancholy lately. I love this great state and will miss it. Regardless of how excited I am for our adventure, knowing we may not ever live in the Commonwealth again is sad – this has been a great home, full of wonderful memories.

I’m making a list of all the things I want to do and places I want to visit before our launch date. In the last two weeks alone, we’ve gone to Fort Boonesborough, the Kentucky Horse Park, and now today, the Salato Wildlife Center. Before that, it was Daniel Boone’s grave and the Rebecca Ruth Candy Factory (home of bourbon balls!). There’s already another 20 or so things I think we need to see before we leave.

I’m seeing this beautiful state with fresh eyes and that’s a gift. The stunning drive to Frankfort today struck me anew and reminded me why we moved here in the first place. The rolling green hills dotted with grazing Thoroughbreds and manicured fencelines are eye candy in its highest form. There’s nothing like it. I’ve been lucky enough to see some exquisite places around the world and this ranks right up there with the very best. Kentucky is truly God’s country.

No comments: