Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 7 | Really, 7 days? I can't keep up.

So, day 7 of my trip, and I'm starting to burn out a little. Its nice that I'm taking my time but the last day and next two are going to be long. I could be to Amarillo in the amount of time its cost me, but - it is what it is. Sometimes, there are things you just should do, so you do them - or, at least I do them. I know some others that wouldn't (no names of course).

Today was good. I got an oil change at a place I would never go back to and will go out of my way to de-recommend (EZ Lube). What a racket - everything is upsell, upsell, upsell. Promise, don't deliver (was told I'd get a discount over the phone, 6 apologies later, still no discount). Take you out of your car so that we can look busy, but not really do much. From what my in-laws tell me, they really are all about the racket - glad I spotted it early. If you have a choice, DON'T USE EZ LUBE. I hope that gets crawled by google, and someone learns from my experience. HOWEVER, its done (4 gallons of oil later) and I learned about the filter (EZ change). So, overall - done.

Facebook went well, I think. A lot of support, a little envy, but no negatives. People took it well and I didn't hear one "that's it, that's your big news...pashaw.." or "Weren't you talking about being on the road full-time? What happened to that..." WHEW. I'm not entirely ready to let that Tiger out of the bag quite yet. Soon, but I wanna ease into it, not make it a slam-dunk on those that don't yet know.

I got to spend some time with the in-laws. Went to dinner, which was nice. I always enjoy that because they are enjoying each other's company. Its a nice time. Dinner was good, and its a good sendoff - plus, I found goodies for the girls there - perfect little presents, all the same. :)

I torqued the wheels on the trailer tonight. Its nice to have that piece of equipment to be sure I'm doing things right. Yes, its expensive to make sure your lug nuts are doing what they are supposed to be doing (at 120 ft/lb), but peace of mind is good too. I don't think I've ever worried so much about the little stuff. Now I feel its good to wrry about this little stuff. Maybe its all the thinking on the trip :)

Tomorrow will be a tough day. I'm here until 1 because they have things to do and won't be back until then, but that's ok - it forces me to be responsible and do work. Always a good thing. I'm hopeful that I'll get out of here by 2 and be up in Northridge by 6, but Friday can be brutal out here (I'd rant about CA, but I'm too tired) - just glad I have an automatic. I'm not worried about driving the trailer so much, just the time it'll take. I'd love to stop by the old haunting grounds and see what that is like now (Sav-on, Chino Hills, CPSUP, Mission, etc.) but its just going to be too tough towing all this. It'll just have to wait until I can show it to everyone from the Van windows. :)

More tomorrow.

R.

No comments: