Friday, January 29, 2010

Glendale RV declares bankruptcy

Very interesting week in the world of RVing for us. Seems that out of left field our trailer manufacturer filed for bankruptcy, and nobody really has much information. From the articles I've read (good one here from The Star) their last quarter stuff was pretty strong - no long-term debt, good cash position, industry on the rebound), but their press release states that they've fired the board, closed the factories and don't see getting back into the business. Very strange.

Well, very strange until I read the following article. Seems like there might have been more going on that people didn't quite focus on (article here from the National Post). What's strange to me is that its been days since the released the info, and there's nothing out there regarding any more information. Bankruptcy must be different in Canada. Here, they file, then usually reorganize in some form, then try to work through it, then if that doesn't work they quit - right? This one seems to be - Monday, everything is fine. Tuesday - we're not answering the phones, everyone is laid off and the receiver's name is Earnst and Young.

I contacted the dealership, but they've been no help. largely I'm sure because they were blindsided as much as I was. They make mention of no more warranties on the in-stock inventory they have. My question is what happens to anything I've got to get fixed? Did Glendale do anything with that? Here, GM shuts down entire brands and leaves warranties in-tact. Seems, once again, that the RV industry is a very different beast.

That brings us to 'what to do', and I think the answer is wait and watch. I have that minor leak in the coach for now, which I can probably fix at some point. Everything else seems to be working ok, and any MAJOR systems I have in place are covered by their own warranties, so - no big deal, I hope. I'm pretty handy, and I'm hoping that the major stuff stays together. if not, then I guess we'll just fix it.

One thing this did bring up in my head is that I should pay more attention to the surroundings - meaning that their denial to fix the A/V unit and the lack of response about it should have told me more about the big picture. They didn't care how they looked to outsiders, or even a current customer, because they knew they were leaving the business. "Trash us all you want, we're not gonna be here in a month". Too bad, from looking at the forums a lot of people aspired to a Glendale trailer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Canada's bankruptcy laws are Draconian. Nortel is another example. Ottawa and the Provinces need to grab the bull by the horns and deal with these abhorrent situations that reward high level executives and screw everybody else.