Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rethinking how the job will work...

So, I kinda had a bad night/day today. Chinese hackers (and other foreigners) decided to attack my server which in and of itself is not pleasant, but now it goes deeper than that.

I'm going to have to come up with a contingency plan for when we are travelling. Is my connection fast enough, secure enough, strong enough, hell, there at all, when something like this occurs. I will no longer be able to count on an absolute static IP, nor can I count on a high-speed connection. With the cellular network I think I'll be in good shape for most of the time we're stopped. Plus, most - well many? - RV parks have wireless networks, but again - how much can I trust that.

So - I'll have to start putting all that in place as well as setting all the other items up. That means I'll probably have to spend a little money this year in order to get everything secured. Would putting UEO on its own server be a better option since I can pretty much close the outside world to it? Should I move my non-essential services to a non-essential server? I'm sure I'll come up with a general plan in the next couple of days.
--R.

No comments: