Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Mailman?

Jill's Journal: I got some homeschooling advice from an unlikely source today: the mailman! I answered a knock on the door to see a sheepish-looking mailman going through my mail. He said, “I’m sorry, honest truth is I’m just being nosy, but I’ve noticed you’ve been getting some homeschool information lately and I’m really curious.” We ended up having a lovely conversation!

He proceeded to tell me his daughter was homeschooled for two years, his wife is a Christian school teacher (4th grade), and his sister homeschooled all of her children from start to finish (and they were all brilliant and are now in college on major scholarships). He raved about homeschooling, but wasn’t entirely sure what curriculum his family used. He said his best piece of advice was to join a homeschooling co-op because he said the support and shared knowledge with other parents is invaluable.

The mailman left with a promise to return in the next few days with a list of names and numbers of people for me to talk to and network with – talk about full-service! That was awesome.

No comments: