Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tidbit Tuesday

Jill's Journal: Random tidbits swirling around my mind today, most dealing with homeschooling as that’s my major focus at the moment:

*I’ve learned that the term “umbrella program” has different definitions for different groups. What we’re planning to do is more commonly called “all-in-one curricula,” a comprehensive package, or “school in a box.” It’s meant to recreate the school environment at home and comes with extensive guides for the “teacher.” The concept was originally developed for isolated families, such as missionaries in the field.

*I’ve got more research to do, but I believe I’ve narrowed down our homeschooling program to three major choices! Extensive information on each is due to arrive in our mailbox any day! More to come.

*I’m reminded of a conversation I had with my mother a year or so ago. I said something to the effect of swearing I would never homeschool. Not for me, I said. No desire, I said. Oh, how we eat our words sometimes.

*And speaking of my dear Mom and the rest of our parents, Rob and I remain very trepidatious about telling our family members (on both sides) about our venture. We think they’ll have a difficult time understanding our desire to step outside the box and do something entirely different. And it turns out we’re not the only ones. Found on a website, FamiliesOnTheRoad.com: “One of the most difficult parts of actually doing a trip of a lifetime is gaining the support of your family and friends. It’s not that they really don’t want you to have this incredible experience; it is that we are all resistant to change, and your leaving means adjustments in their lives.” We anticipate that will ring very true for us.

No comments: