Sunday, February 15, 2009

Catastrophic Failure

AAARGGHHHHHHHHHOOOOoohhhhhhhhhhahaaaaahhhhhhh...sob.sob....whimper.

I lost everything. E-mail, graphics, Google-frickin-earth. Anything and everything I did for the last year or so. My laptop had a complete and utter drive failure and it just 'went away'... So, now I'm rebuilding - with an eye toward keeping everything backed-up in duplicate.

Work stuff I can recover or remake. Most of it is posted to the website, so that shouldn't be a problem. E-mail - much of it is unimportant (although it has created my first hole is past email since 1996), however work stuff I was able to pinpoint and have Gregg send. Overall, not too bad.

The biggest problem is that I lost ALL my google earth stuff. All that work, all that research - and I have no idea what I put there or how I found it. I'm getting glimmers here and there, and I think I can replace some of it - but there are a TON of hours wasted. Oh well - moving forward...

I have to plan on how to do backups (online?) and have the ability to pull a machine back together on the road (have a second one setup to accept the backup? backup hard drive? how much equipment do I need to carry to be absolutely certain I have no downtime?) Now, there is another step - what about the servers? I need to make sure that access is 100%, that Gregg has everything, absolutely everything to back me up. I need to be sure things are running very well and that my disappearance on a weekend is not going to kill the job. Iglou will be a big help with things - I can trust them, and everyone else should be just fine - but I've got to keep an eye on things and make sure I have everything perfectly dialed in... Make a list - More Research ;)

No comments: