Saturday, February 7, 2009

Schooling on the Road

Jill's Journal: Since home schooling was never something I envisioned in our future, it is with a bit of trepidation that I approach it. A conversation with a pediatrician this week gave me some enlightenment. Much to my surprise, he said Kentucky does not regulate home schooling in any way. I had learned previously that I just need to submit some paperwork to the school district when we decide to do this, but I expected there to be a curriculum to follow, something in black and white to get me started and hold me accountable. He said it’s totally up to us as to what kind of approach we want to take. A Christian or secular route? A general overview or study focused more on one aspect? Yikes. I want the best, most well-rounded education for my young children. This is going to take some research to find what suits us most effectively. The doctor said he’s come across quite a few home schooling groups over the years and I guess one of the first steps is finding them. Thank goodness for the internet.

No comments: