Friday, April 30, 2010

Yearbook of Life

Jill's Journal: In our steadfast purging, I came across a letter dated 1995 (can that really be 15 years ago already?) from my dear friend Ernie. I knew immediately why I’d kept it.

Darling, Lucille Ball-loving Ernie and I worked closely together and sat literally inches apart during our American Express years in Anaheim Hills, CA. I was just a baby, brand-new to a major corporation and wide-eyed to the ways of the world after a very sheltered childhood. He was a seasoned professional and the first person I’d ever known who openly lived an alternate lifestyle. I was enamored with him and he was charmed by my naivety. We quickly bonded. He’s a dear soul and while we still keep in touch occasionally, passing years and a few thousand miles separate us.

But this letter, dated nearly three years after the last time I’d seen him, still speaks to me. I have to share it.

“Eventually we have to sign the yearbook of life – and what will our picture look like? I want mine to have the look of excitement in my eyes – life, a picture I’d be proud to sign. The older I become, and hopefully wiser – I realize we are here but for a vanishing moment and then we’re gone. Live for the moment and make it worthwhile!”

I’m so grateful to have had inspiring people like Ernie in my life. Without a history of that kind of encouragement, would we be embarking on this adventure now? I can think of 20 other dreams we’ve also followed over the years, some big, some small – would we have had the courage to jump?

No comments: