Tuesday, April 17, 2012

U.S. Olympic Training Center

Jill's Journal: During our all-too-brief foray into the world of healthy children over the weekend, we took a tour of the U.S. Olympic Training Center in nearby Chula Vista.

One of only three Olympic training centers in the U.S (the others being in Lake Placid and Colorado Springs), the Chula Vista campus is strictly a warm-weather sports complex. At 155 acres, it is by far the largest of the Olympic training centers in the U.S. and, unlike the other two, it was master-planned from the ground up. There are a number of other Olympic training sites in the country, but these three centers were specifically created as official training facilities by the United States Olympic Committee.

Although pictures of the athletes aren’t allowed, our tour was given by a resident athlete, meaning someone who lives and trains at the center year-round (and receives room and board and a stipend). “Crystal” is a summer games, track & field hopeful whose specialty is the triple jump. Only about 70 full-time resident athletes who pass stringent requirements live at the center, although the numbers swell when including short-term-stay athletes and other athletes who live nearby but train at the center.

This is the on-site recreation room, where the athletes can relax when not training. Their diets, habits, sleep patterns, etc. are all closely monitored.

Interestingly, our Olympic team is the only one in the world that is privately funded. All other world governments fund their Olympic programs.

Women’s lacrosse practice; I figured these athletes were far enough away to snap a picture. The BMX practice track is behind the field. Other year-round sports here include archery (with a 50-lane complex, the largest outdoor archery range in North America), canoe, kayak, rowing, soccer, triathlon, cycling, field hockey, rugby, speed skating, tennis, luge, and volleyball.

I don’t think our girls have ever even seen the Olympics on t.v.; we’ll have to change that this summer!

7 comments:

gretchenhs said...

OH, I would have loved visiting here, I love watching the Olympics and can't wait to see them again this year. Liz knows them well and seems excited about them coming on as well. She likes to watch the swimming like I do. (as well as others)

Jill said...

Gretchen, you just need to come and travel with us!

It's been a long time -- years and years and years -- since I've had a chance to watch the Olympics, but I'm looking forward to them this year too! I think the kids will love them; I know I did when I was little.

Diana said...

I never even knew that place was there. Sometimes I wonder what I did with my time when I lived in CA--oh, that's right, I was cruising Florida & chasing boys (a full-time job).
I found something to add to your itinerary if you make it to the town of Cleveland, Georgia...Babyland General Hospital where Cabbage Patch Kids are born! Make sure Rob has the day off--wouldn't want him to miss it! :)

Jill said...

Cruising Florida Ave: a noble profession, indeed. Any guess at how many miles we put on our vehicles on Florida alone? Thank goodness gas was less than $1 at the time; no way teenagers could afford it these days!

Are Cabbage Patch Kids really still made, I mean, born? I'm sure Rob wouldn't feel like his manhood is being threatened at all if I made him take that field trip! LOL! As a matter of fact, ask Scott if he'd like to join us. :)

Diana said...

It is absolutely un-American for teenagers to be unable to afford to cruise down Florida...something must be done!
It was Scott's idea to have Rob join in the Cabbage Patch fun--maybe the 2 of them could reserve a couple of seats at a Babyland tea party or even celebrate their birthdays there! CPK's are, indeed, still being "born" these days. Kate has several that I've found at consignment sales for $4 each & I always feel like I'm committing a crime--remember how hard it used to be to get one & how much they cost? Lia is getting one for her birthday & its name is Leah Mia (I couldn't resist). :)

Jill said...

Well gosh, if it was Scott's idea, I wouldn't want to deny those guys that little experience. In fact, I've got the best idea yet...let's have Rob and Scott take all of our combined kids for a lovely day of Cabbage Patch fun while you and I go get a pedicure. Or catch a movie rated something higher than a G. Or take a nap! Oh yes, I'm liking this plan very much indeed. :)

P.S. No way your adorable Lia (whom I now want to call Leah Mia; so cute!) is about to turn one! Yes, I think you are definitely due for a nap. Me too!

Diana said...

Amen, sister! I've always admired your intelligence & good sense... :)