Saturday, November 6, 2010

19 for 20

Jill's Journal: There may have been tears in our family at the conclusion of the Breeders’ Cup Classic today and they weren’t Rob’s and they weren’t the girls’. I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

The freight train known as Zenyatta gave it her all tonight at historic Churchill Downs, but the wire came one stride too soon. Her come-from-behind style invites traffic and invites trouble. She’s overcome it every other single time. But this one time, the one time out of 20 times, it got her beat. Only the margin of a short head – maybe 12 inches – stands between her and perfection. How incredible is that? How absolutely tremendous.

And tonight, as I’m hoarse from screaming her home and have the crestfallen faces of three little girls sadly etched in my memory – little girls who just witnessed the falling of their hero, I actually find myself grateful. I’m grateful she went back to her barn safe and healthy. I’m grateful to have witnessed for the last few years the goddess that is Zenyatta, no mere mortal among equine athletes. And I’m grateful to be a part of the wonderful sport of horse racing, a sport that inspires passion so deep it causes tears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, I watched Zenyatta's quest for perfection too (thanks to Rob's posting of the time & place) and nearly got a little misty-eyed myself. I've only watched maybe three horse races in my life, so it's not like I'm emotionally invested, but she really is just something to behold, isn't she? Amazing... :)

-Diana

Jill said...

You got that right -- she is something otherworldly. Just so special. I'm so glad you watched it! I always knew I liked you... :)