Thursday, November 11, 2010

RV Museum and Hall of Fame

Jill's Journal: I suppose it only makes sense to have the RV Museum and Hall of Fame in Elkhart, Indiana, the RV Capital of the World. I haven’t quite figured out exactly how one qualifies for the Hall of Fame, but the museum part was fantastic. Dozens and dozens of RVs from the last century showed exactly how camping has evolved over that time. We saw the first known travel trailer in the world, which was pulled behind a 1913 Model T, and a great number of RV examples from every class for every decade since.

The girls had a ball going in one trailer after another and seeing how camping used to be. I do believe the general consensus at the end of the excursion was that we, in our 42-foot fifth wheel with all the modern conveniences (except a dishwasher), are in no way “roughing it!” I especially think of the Moms who went camping with their families over the last decades and my hat is off to them. I don’t know how they kept their husbands and kids fed with the Spartan “kitchens” and how they kept their sanity while doing it. Suffice it to say -- since I am not a true camper by any stretch of the imagination -- our little family would most certainly not be traveling like this in those trailers of yesteryear!

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

That's the only picture we get? I'd love to see more. Maybe I'll just have to go visit it. =)

We went camping all the time when I was small and I would have LOVED any type of camper. Tent sleeping and campfire eating are just not for me these days.

Jill said...

LOL Gretchen! We have quite a few more pictures (as I'm certain you can guess!), but not the energy or time to go into more detail. :) And what do you mean tent sleeping and campfire eating are not for you...I can't imagine. (That sounds like some sort of cruel torture to me...)