Wednesday, June 22, 2011

School’s Out for Summer!

Jill's Journal: We are insanely proud of three little girls, who today successfully completed their first year of homeschooling and did it on the road to boot. We started after Labor Day in Plymouth, Massachusetts, and finished today in Eugene, Oregon. Every conventional student we know has been out of school for at least two weeks, but as I told a friend, we probably take just a few more field trips than the average school. :)

Erika survived first grade with me at the helm! What a year it has been. I’m not sure who learned more – me or her – but the awesome thing is we did it together.

Madelyn completed her second year of preschool and is headed to kindergarten in the fall. She has been a hard-working and eager student who simply didn't have the patience to wait for kindergarten to start reading, so she’ll definitely have a head start on her coming year. How do these babies grow up so fast?

And Victoria, the little stinker, has learned so much by osmosis that she’s right on track to rule the world someday, just as she plans. She is so incredibly excited about starting preschool in the fall.

Somehow we got lucky and chose the most amazing curriculum that emphasizes world history and awareness, so we’ll simply continue on the same track next year (especially now that this once-upon-a-time-daunted-by-homeschooling-mama knows what she’s doing). This giant, markable floor map from Erika’s year shows every country she's learned a little about so far. What a simple but profound concept – she simply found each country and marked it on the map as we learned about it. This has given her a grasp of geography at age seven that is out of this world. And wow, has that ever carried over to her sisters (Madelyn is especially thrilled to be getting her own map next year). The other day we said something about Italy and Victoria, at age three, said, “You mean the boot?”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to the girls. :)

gretchenhs said...

Congratulations girls!!!

I wish you could teach mine too! =)

Anonymous said...

cong granddaughters
and parents, just remember
last winter each one hoping
across the driveway to ring
the doorbell when school was
over for the day.

grandpa

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of all of you. What an accomplishment.And what an adventure you are on ~ also very educational. Living the dream!!
Love, Beppy

Jill said...

Thanks so much, everyone. It just feels like a really big deal to have a full year of homeschooling under our belts, so your good wishes are much appreciated. It's been amazing.

What WILL I do with all my time this summer???

And Gretchen, just send her over. What's one more? :)

Katie Lady said...

NOT every other kid has been out for two weeks--my boys just finished their school year on Tuesday, June 21 and we DIDN'T take that many field trips. I think June is way too long to be in school!

Enjoy your summer--and I still want to know how you find all these cool things you find. Send me an email and tell me your secret... ;}

Jill said...

Katie, my apologies -- I forgot your boys just got out of school too! We intentionally ran long to take advantage of different field trips, but you're right, that must feel far too long in conventional school.

And if I had a method to my madness, I would share it with you, really! I simply do hours of research on each new place, finding what makes each place unique and the "can't-miss" highlights. If you start with a Google search of "things to do in XX, CA," that's a perfect jumping off point. The internet is your friend! :)