Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Three Things

Jill's Journal: 1). Something we love about Oregon: no sales tax. If you buy something for a dollar, it’s a dollar at the register. Not $1.06, not $1.10. Just a flat dollar. Delaware is the only other one of the five states that doesn’t charge sales tax that we’ve spent time in this past year. We’re not big shoppers, but this just feels so wonderful!!

2). Just like in New Jersey, you can’t pump your own gas in Oregon. They’re the only two states with this crazy law. Rob and I both disliked this tremendously in New Jersey and feel the same way about it here. I just find it uncomfortable to deal with someone at the pump and I still haven’t figured out if you’re supposed to tip them or not. Ugh.

3). About a week ago, we had a “Family Fun Movie Night” and introduced the girls to my favorite childhood movie, “The Sound of Music.” They loved it and we’ve been singing the wonderful songs together ever since. Today, in the car, Victoria announced she wants to be a nun, like Maria. We’re not Catholic, but never say never. Even though she’s our youngest, she’s the one who thinks most about the future and is the most aware she wants a husband and children someday. Upon her announcement, one of her sisters piped up that meant she couldn’t be married. “That’s okay,” she said. “I’ll be married to God.”

She shared her plans with Rob at the dinner table tonight and from the look on his face, I think he saw his life flash before his eyes. Or, at least the scene from “Father of the Bride” where the Dad sees the newly-engaged daughter revert back to a child and say she’s getting married. It was priceless.

10 comments:

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

I love this hahahaha I can't remember if you both know my story??? Forgive me if I repeat myself, but Gerry is a former Catholic priest and I an almost nun! People always joke about me and this movie...and in our house this movie is on so much I love it. When Bernadette was 3.5 she would sing: "I am 16 going on 17, I will take care of moooooooooooo." aka Maryn, haha

Diana said...

A nun?! Ryan is not going to be happy when he hears about this... :)

Jill said...

LOL! You ladies both crack me up!! Thanks for making my day full of laughs -- love it!

Anonymous said...

Do you think Victoria wants to be a nun, or have a wedding and dress with the long, long train that Maria had in the movie? I think most little girls would dream about the fairy tale wedding and great instant family. Because they all live Happily ever after at the movies end.
Mom W.

Jill said...

Nope, she wants to be a nun, complete with habit and singing, lots of singing!!

gretchenhs said...

LOL, well at least Rob won't have to guard her from guys if she becomes a nun!
That's one of my favrorite movies too, I finally showed it to Liz when we were living in Lexington and she loves it as well.

Anonymous said...

As a New Jersey resident, I can tell you: NO TIPPING THE GAS ATTENDANT! They don't expect it, and would be shocked.
--Sue

Jill said...

Gretch, I think Rob will keep the shotgun polished, just in case. :) Isn't it fun to share our childhood favorites with the kids? I was telling the girls that when I was little, we didn't have DVDs or even VCRs and this movie was on tv only once a year at Thanksgiving. They just stared at me blankly...so I told them I also walked three miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways!

Jill said...

Sue -- thank you!! Not knowing has driven me nuts. You are a voice of reason in this crazy world!! :)

gretchenhs said...

LOL, Jill you are a riot! I would have loved seeing their faces. I remember each year when it came on, I was sitting at that TV. Love that movie!!

Elizabeth is a big fan of Mamma Mia still (which cracks me up) and her new favorite is CHitty Chitty Bang Bang. =)