Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And they're off.....

Today is the first day I feel like we've finally started our adventure. All that before - that seemed to just be preparation. I'm finally finished cleaning, doing chores, and basically flogging my guts out working to get going... Last night, I actually got to do nothing but listen to music and drink beer.
As you can see, leaving was no easy task. When they paved the road at the farm they raised the height of it about 4", at the same time the wires have drooped over the driveway over the last several years. I called about getting it fixed back in April, and still can't get anyone that knows anything to talk with me. So - I made up my own solution with some scrap boards and two 16-foot 2 x 10's. It worked like a charm and though you can't see it, we cleared by a couple of feet. Yahoo!
Then off to the Horse Park we went. Even though I knew I still had a day of work to do, it was a good thing to get on the road. I slept better, I feel better, and I'm more social and happy than I've been in awhile. I think Jill likes the change. :) Yesterday for me was a final day of working through the stuff and I was able to make the progress I needed with no distractions or trouble. I threw out BAGS of stuff, donated some really, really nice electronics and the truck is so full that I can't see out of it, but at least now we are all in one place -- with all our stuff in one place as well. The next couple of days will be spent organizing tools and supplies, and going through the stuff in the truck. I have evenings free now - I can do that!

I'm finding that I'm much more physically active out here. Because I don't have pressing things to do at all hours, I've been walking a couple of miles a day. Once I get the bikes in shape I'll bike a lot as well. I wish I'd had it ready to ride here at KHP, but first things first. There's time for that. Today Erika and I went on a nice walk just the two of us. I think it made a big difference in her day - she loves one on one time. We also had a nice walk all five of us and got to watch some polo practice (which I'm sure Jill will blog about tonight). All in all a good day, with a good day of work as well. I'm going to like this life I think.

Tomorrow we are off to Louisville for me to do some much needed maintenance on servers and to visit some long-time friends. I'm doubtful I'll get to hang out too much, but the girls and Jill will get to, and that'll be good for them. After that I think we've got a couple of days reservations in Bardstown - a town which I pretty much know nothing about. We still don't know what's up with the 4th (can't find a place), but things will work out somehow, somewhere - that's kinda how we're being about this trip. No need to panic - worst case is a night in a parking lot and driving early the next day. No worries!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the ingenuity, Rob!!
~Jennifer Diann