Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Welcome!


Jill's Journal: If only I had a penny for each time someone asked if we had a blog! We finally decided it was time to go public. I’ve been keeping an occasional journal of our preparations to travel with the intention of sharing it with our girls someday. (Because surely someday they’ll wonder what possessed us to pack them into an RV and hit the road). Since my typing skills are stronger than my handwriting skills, it seemed a natural to make it a blog and that way my parents could track our travels as well. And now it’s morphed into something a little bigger…we’ve decided to also share it with our friends and family.

If you’re just joining us, the brief version is this: we’ve sold our house (closing in a matter of hours!), have bought a fifth wheel, and plan to travel North America for the next three years. We have a loose itinerary that includes 49 states and parts of Canada. Rob telecommutes already and can work from anywhere, so we realize this makes us incredibly blessed and very, very lucky. Our three girls are young with our oldest just finishing kindergarten tomorrow, so I’m going to try my hand at homeschooling for a few years. We can’t think of a better education for them (and for us!) than seeing the country firsthand.

As people have learned about the adventure that awaits us, we realized how many either long for this type of opportunity or think we’re completely off our rocker. Either way, it’s clear many people are very curious. We thought this blog would be a way we could take everyone along for the ride.

Both Rob and I will post. His entries (like the one immediately below) are labeled with an “R.” Mine will always begin with “Jill’s Journal.”

It will take another week or so for us to completely wrap up things here in Lexington, Kentucky, and then we’ll be on our way. So, stay turned and join us on our journey if you’d like. And welcome!

4 comments:

Annigje said...

JILL ANNE, I am absolutely shocked,
I really needed a couple of hours to let this sink in,
because I had no clue what you were up to and then this ??
but like you said, when you have a dream, you have to chase it !!
I am happy for you to make 1 of your dreams come true :)
I just wished I have the nerves to do so for myself.
You are a brave, smart women, with an adorable family and I know you will accomplish this.
have a safe journey and please do keep in touch :)
I will check up here frequently, so you better keep it up to date
And i am glad you gave me an correspondence adress,
I would hate to see the girls without their favourite pyjamas :)
Sorry I got to stop now, I start crying, because it feels like saying goodbye, though it is not,I know,
but you kinda overwhelmed me here,
I love you sweety :)

Katie Lady said...

Woo hoo! So many of us will live vicariously through you and your sweet little family. Lord willing, since we're in CA near your family, we'll get a sushi date! And who knows? Maybe we'll hit the road and meet up with you someplace fun and adventurous. ;) Keep in touch.

Jimmy W. said...

WOW!!! I think you guys are doing a one-in-a-life time event, including your children at an age that is perfect. You and your family will cherish these memories forever, and I wish you all a safe and adventurous time together. Wowy Wow Wow!!! Go for it!!!

God Bless,
Jimmy, Tammy and Family

Bob Clark said...

Jill, when I quite my job as a stockbroker to pursue the art career, the first thing we did was put everything in storage and tucked my baby daughter into the car and traveled for six months from Florida to Colorado and back - it was one of the best experiences ever. This week that daughter leaves for college and the memories are priceless. I say that because I know your whole family will learn, grow, and enjoy something that most people never get to experience. I look forward to following your travels. Bob Clark