Monday, January 16, 2012

Mulholland Drive

Jill's Journal: The Los Angeles area has so many famous streets (Hollywood Blvd., the Sunset Strip, Rodeo Drive, etc.), but one – Mulholland Drive – stands out from all the rest. Out-of-towners may not be familiar with the specific name of the winding, two-lane, mountainess road that stretches for miles, but there’s no doubt they’ve seen it in countless t.v. shows and movies. In fact, we happened to drive past a filming on this random day while we were on Mulholland.

This magnificent road snakes through the Hollywood Hills and gives spectacular views of the City of Angels. At night the glittering lights are simply breathtaking (it gives the feeling one is on top of the world and is an absolute must-do), but it’s not too shabby during the daytime either. And even on this hazy, overcast day we happened to choose, so many landmarks can still be spotted, including the famed Griffith Park Observatory, the Hollywood Bowl, downtown Los Angeles (shown), and so much more.

If the landmarks weren’t enough, a drive on Mulholland is a drive past some of the most exclusive, expensive homes in the world. If there’s trouble in the economy, it doesn’t show on Mulholland. The homes here, as a rule, are extraordinary and many are more like palaces than houses. Only uber-celebrities and the very richest of people live on this fantastic street with the sweeping views. Among the celebrities who either live on Mulholland now or did recently are Jack Nicholson, Madonna, Demi Moore, Reese Witherspoon, Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, Warren Beatty, and so many more. Case in point: here’s a guided tour stopping to take pictures of Britney Spears’ home.

10 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I'm such a celebrity hog, I would love to be there with you for this part of the trip. (Well, so far MOST of your trip!)
My cousin Paige was there last semester for an internship at DIsney Studios and my daughter insisted that she go see Dancing with the Stars or Finny Home Videos. She wants you to do it since Paige failed. LOL Liz just LOVES Tom Bergeron! (Yes, I think that's very strange! haha)

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

It was very surreal the year I lived in Santa Monica...I prayed with Martin Sheen regularly--he went to my Church, nice man! Maria Shriver and Arnold with in my parish, I served Barbara Streisand, the cast of ER and so many more at Starbucks oh and loved 'meeting' Harrison Ford...it was a cool year :-)

Jill said...

--GRETCH, that is so funny about Liz...I'm afraid I'll fail her too because I don't have the slightest clue who Tom Bergeron is!! But regarding celebrities, there's definitely a couple that just might make me revert into a blithering teenager if I saw them...like Harrison Ford, ANDREA. Do tell!!! What a fun year that must have been!

Diana said...

Didn't you & I take a celebrity tour like this in our college years (2 blondes amid a bus full of Asian tourists) in the name of "research" for your travel agent job? And how is it that I don't have a single picture of such an event?! I also remember driving Mulholland with Tammy & David once & loudly insisting that David stop the car so I could jump out & snap a picture of the stilt house from Lethal Weapon 2, while David loudly insisted that I was going to get myself killed. (He may have had a point.) Oh, how I would've loved to bump into Mel Gibson...though I'm not so sure anymore. =)

Jill said...

Diana, we did, indeed! Ha ha! You, me, my second cousin visiting from Holland, and a bus full of Asian tourists! What a sight we must have been. Do you remember how excited we were to see Ricky Schroder's house? Or was that just me? :p I STILL remember where it was (how pathetic is that?!). Mel Gibson definitely would have been a treat back then. These days, not so much. And I remember your stilt house story, along with David's head shaking at the telling of it. He was probably wondering why Tammy came with such crazy friends.

Diana said...

Oh, that's right--Annigje! Wow, that must've been high school then. And just whose poor parenting skills allowed us to go off & do that? =) I'm sure I was as excited as you about Ricky Schroder's house, though I can't say I remember anything about it now (and I also can't remember whether I washed my hair yesterday, so...) David is still shaking his head at Tammy's friends, but we stayed with them last time we were in CA and he missed me when I left just like I told him he would. He loves all of us and he KNOWS it!! =)

Jill said...

Oh my, Diana -- my Mother is going to love to hear that..."poor parenting skills"?!? LOL. (No offense, Mom!) But Diana, I, too, have NO IDEA how we got out of the house to head down to Hollywood Blvd. by ourselves before age 18!! My girls aren't getting out of the house unsupervised until they're at least 30. :)

Anonymous said...

Could it be that you girls didn't tell me where you were going!! Poor parenting skills probably means I had no idea what I was doing (and I'm still sometimes in the dark!) But I loved you all - hope that makes up for it. Glad we all survived those years.

Love, from your clueless Mom

Diana said...

Hi Mom! Don't worry...we had no idea that you had no idea what you were doing. Sometimes you just have to "love 'em and hope for the best." And we all did survive-that's what counts. Good job! =)

Jill said...

Diana's right, Mom (preach it, sista!). You looked awfully competent to me. Good job, indeed!