Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Santa Ynez Valley

Jill's Journal: We spent a truly wonderful week exploring the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and yet, for all the traipsing around we did, I feel like I got a paltry amount of photos. And the ones I did get didn’t really showcase the loveliness of this place. So, in these days of the web, I spent a few minutes scouring cyberspace and found a few images which captured this area far better than I did.

Lake Cachuma.

The quaint western town of Santa Ynez, the valley’s namesake.

Tiny and charming Ballard.

Los Olivos.

Buellton.

Solvang…

…and another of Solvang, really the signature town of this area.

We also would have loved to try the Danish treat of "aebleskivers" at an authentic Danish bakery. They’re supposed to be light and airy pancake-like balls dusted with powdered sugar and topped with raspberry jam. Apparently people proclaim them a little bit of heaven, but after checking at three different bakeries, we learned it’s common for them to be cooked in peanut oil (something about peanut oil cooking hotter and quicker). Keeping our peanut allergy girl safe immediately trumps any anticipated culinary experience in our book. But if you go, be sure to try them (and please let us know how they are!).

6 comments:

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Are you stopping at any of the missions in the area? One year I traveled to all of them...you will be surprised many of the monks will invite you in!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I LOVE aebleskivers! I bet I haven't eaten one in well over 20 years. I'm certain that's some kind of crime...

~Jen

Jill said...

Andrea -- how fun about the missions and the monks!! We've been to a handful of them and have a few more on our list. I absolutely love them. Rob says if you've seen one, you've seen them all! LOL!

Jennifer -- you've eaten these little wonders? My Dutch (not Danish) friend...how have you had aebleskivers and not Dutch Babies?? Surely that's another crime!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's me - some kind of crazy criminal! LOL!
We would go to Solvang when I was little - just not the Calico Ghost Town! (And yet another crime!)
I actually have another Old Time Photo taken in Solvang w/ my siblings. And now I have one with my girls from Knott's...

Unknown said...

My in-laws make Aebleskivers. They are very yummy, especially when warm. We were actually just talking about making them last night.

Jill said...

How cool is that? Gary, are your in-law Scandinavian or just really good cooks? :)