Sunday, January 8, 2012

Spanning the Generations


Jill's Journal: After I flippantly mentioned to the girls that today would have marked Elvis’ birthday, they talked me into heading over to YouTube to watch him singing a couple of songs. The girls know some of his music, but they’ve never actually seen him in action until today. We started with the very fun, music video-like “Jailhouse Rock,” shown above.

It didn’t take long for Madelyn to muse, “I like the way he looks. Elvis is very handsome.”

I’m pretty certain plenty of young girls were thinking that exact same thing 55 or so years ago. Clearly, Elvis spans the generations!

(And since Madelyn is only six and already noticing handsome boys, I’m also pretty certain she’s going to be the one who turns our hair grey when she’s a teenager).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can tell Madelyn her Bebby
was one of those girls years ago
and it hasn't changed much.

grandpa

gretchenhs said...

LOL about Madelyn!
I can still remember where I was when I heard he had died and I was only 7 or 8 and I cried. I think I cried more about someone dying than the actual Elvis dying, but still I remember it. hehe

Jill said...

Dad, at least we know where she gets it from!

Gretch, I vaguely remember it too! I can picture the house we lived in, remember exactly where the phone was, and remember my aunt calling my Mom to tell her. He WAS the King, after all! :)