Friday, August 5, 2011

A Day in Pendleton

Jill's Journal: Pendleton was named the “Top True Western Town in 2011” by True West Magazine. Sweet Victoria still gets excited every time she sees anyone in a cowboy hat. “Mommy, look! It’s a real cowboy with a real hat and a real belt!” I love it.

Here's a view of downtown, set in the hills around the Umatilla River.

Outside of town, it's wheat, wheat, and more wheat as far as the eye can see.

Friendly touches are everywhere.

I loved this sign. From the best I can tell, the Mainstreet Cowboys serve as a sort of welcoming committee for folks attending the Round-Up.

The girls and I spent part of the day at the Tamastslikt Cultural Institute (no, I can't say it either). It's an American Indian-owned and operated interpretive center that celebrates the Cayuse, Umatilla, and Walla Walla tribes. No pictures were allowed inside, but the girls got a lot out of it.

This is a tule reed lodge, the standard dwelling used by the Columbia River Plateau peoples about 200 years ago. It's large, about 30' by 16' by 16'.

A demonstrator invited the girls to meet Ula (but sounded like Olga), the Golden Eagle. Obviously not knowing we've seen several birds of prey in Oregon, he was telling the girls and the audience about the basic physical differences between Golden Eagles and Bald Eagles (the color of the heads, how far down the feathers reach on the legs, etc.). He finished and Erika, our sponge, spoke up, "Yes, and I've also noticed their beaks are shaped differently. The ___ Eagle's (I forget which one, she didn't) is longer and more pointed."

"Why yes," the man said, a little surprised, "if you were to study them very closely you would definitely see that." I later asked her how she knew that. She shrugged and said like it was the most normal thing in the world, "I just noticed." Like I said, she's a sponge.

Look at those talons. I wouldn't trifle with these birds!

We did learn at the Tamastslikt center about the Pendleton Round-Up being a true collaboration between the cowboys of the area and the tribal people, both a century ago when it started and to this day. Later, we happened to be driving by the Round-Up grounds when we noticed the gate open. We snuck in for a peek. Look at the size of this place! How many thousands of people must it hold? The arena is unique in rodeo for two reasons: it’s still grass (the outside dirt is where the Indian Relay Races are held) and there’s no advertising on the walls.

Erika found a barrel racing toy she desperately wanted in a store a few days ago and we returned so she could purchase it with her own money. We made her think about it, especially as it was an expensive toy ($40) that more than cut her cash savings in half. She had been saving for a pony and we reminded her of how long it took to earn $40. She said, "I know, but we'll be traveling at least another year or two so I have plenty of time to earn it back. Besides, I need to learn about barrel racing and this will help. And it's my money and I earned it!" Who can argue with that? She had clearly prepared her argument ahead of time!

One last picture from the day: Oregon produce continues to be amazing. We stopped by a Farmers' Market today and picked up our first yellow watermelon. It tastes like...watermelon! The flavor was a little different from a perfectly ripe watermelon, but it was still good.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erika

When you come back to Ca and
help grandpa feed his horse
you can earn some money.

grandpa

Jill said...

Dad, you're a big softie when it comes to your granddaughters!! I hardly dare tell her as she's already itching to get back to your place. Watch out -- two other little girls are going to want to help you with chores too (especially if there's money involved!).

P.S. I don't remember you paying me to mow the lawn or wash the car when I was a kid!! Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Erika

When you come back to Ia. and help uncle kim feed zippy,you can earn some money. Uncle Kim

Unknown said...

The golden eagles are used in Mongolia to hunt wolves. They are very impressive birds.

Jill said...

Uncle Kim -- another softie!! I love it. Erika thought Iowa was pure magic; she doesn't need yet another reason to come back!

Jill said...

Gary, those Golden Eagles are amazing -- I so agree. Impressive, indeed.

gretchenhs said...

Everything was very cool, however I've never seen a yellow watermelon! I can't wait to try one. You know me and my fruit! The veggies look yummy too. Summer is my favorite time of year for fruit and vegetables!!!

Erika - Lizzie wants your mommy to take a picture of this special toy you bought, she's very curious!

Love you all!

Travel Pendleton said...

Your writing about our City was wonderful! I loved reading every bit! Those of us who live here and promote Pendleton to the rest of the world love it when someone like you shares our story with their friends and family. If you or your friends would like to follow us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/TravelPendleton or visit our website www.travelpendleton.com
Thank you for such inspiring pictures and stories. Travel Pendleton.

Jill said...

Gretchen -- I didn't even know yellow watermelons existed! It was a little more earthy than a regular one, but still good. Wish you could have shared it with us!

Tell Lizzie I'll send a picture tomorrow. :) XOXO

Jill said...

Travel Pendleton -- wow, what a surprise! Thanks so much. You have a wonderful city and we're so pleased to be experiencing it!