Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Days are Long But the Years are Short

Jill's Journal: It’s back-to-school week in Kentucky. Depending on the county, all of our friends’ kids either started school today or will start tomorrow or Thursday. Kentucky feels a million miles away lately, so I only know this because of the awareness Facebook brings, but I found myself feeling a little jealous today of the freedom those fellow Moms have when their children spend all day in school.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love and appreciate our life. But my twinge of jealousy came with thinking about what it would be like to have 35-40 hours a week of child-free time. Oh, what one could accomplish with even a fraction of that time! I’ll bet I could even take a shower uninterrupted. I don’t remember what that was like.

I had these thoughts while watching my girls on a seesaw at a local park today (above) and it dawned on me that they’re each others’ best friends. Yes, they squabble and bicker like any other siblings, but they also play together so beautifully. Would they do that if they were all in different classes in school, which would probably make their age differences more pronounced?

And then I felt jealous again. Homeschooling this past year has been so much fun, but it’s also hard work (mostly for me!). I never thought I’d be a homeschooler. Am I ready to tackle another year soon?

I remembered a magazine paragraph that gave me inspiration recently: “I watched him put letters together to make words; I held his hand to write and watched him form his name on his own for the first time; I saw his excitement at writing number sentences like a mathematician. These learning moments and other milestones became precious to both of us, like watching a baby’s first steps. I don’t want someone else to teach my children about the fall of Rome, the martyrdom of Tyndale, or the theory of relativity. These are ours to share.” --Lee Ann Garfias, Home School Enrichment

And then I knew: I wouldn’t trade this life. Yes, it can sometimes be exhausting to spend all day every day with your children, but I get to be a party to those special moments that come once in a child’s lifetime. And, as an extra bonus, homeschooling allows us to travel in this way. What’s not to like?

I once heard an anonymous saying that has always stuck with me, “The days are long but the years are short.” It’s so true. Sometimes a day with kids, no matter how much I love them, can last forever and I can’t wait to get them in bed to find a moment of peace. But at the same time, the years are flying by at an alarming rate. I love these three little gals God entrusted to us; I don’t want to miss a moment. If that means (occasional) frayed nerves and (always) interrupted showers, so be it.

I may sometimes feel envious of the extra time without kids other Moms get, but maybe, just maybe, those same ladies are envious of the extra time I get with my kids?

6 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I may sometimes feel envious of the extra time without kids other Moms get, but maybe, just maybe, those same ladies are envious of the extra time I get with my kids?


Absolutely my friend. Absolutely!

Diana said...

"The days are long, but the years are short." I have this on the wall at the top of my stairs along with the hospital newborn photos of all 5 of us, just to remind me how quickly things change. I see it several times a day (and also in the middle of the night when I get up to feed the baby) and it never fails to put things in perspective. :)

Unknown said...

@Diana -I love the picture idea. I may have to borrow that one.
@Jill -So funny to read the post about the extra time during swimming lessons and the wonderment of life with a break during the school day. Cherish every minute. I know I'll never regret not going to work for those extra hours during the day, but will always regret not being able to spend more time with my family.

Jill said...

I loved each of your comments. Thanks, everyone!

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Rushing but I had so wanted to say something witty and wise now just will offer...I get it :-) While I am excited and love all the homeschooling offers, I am a bit terrified at the lack of mama time! We shall see how it goes this year friend...Peace!

Jill said...

Andrea, I suspect you will love it too! It is rewarding and wonderful. The benefits really do outweigh the drawbacks...even the complete absence of mama time. :)