Monday, October 3, 2011

20 Years Ago



Jill's Journal:

On this day, I’m feeling nostalgic.



Twenty years ago, in 1991…

*George H.W. Bush was president, Dan Quayle was vice president
*Brett Favre was first drafted in the NFL
*An amateur video captured Rodney King’s beating by the LAPD
*The Cold War formally ended
*Movies in theatres included Silence of the Lambs, City Slickers, and Terminator 2
*Operation Desert Storm began
*Magic Johnson announced he had HIV
*Serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested
*Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls won their first NBA championship
*Boris Yeltsen was the first elected president of Russia

And on this particular day, 20 years ago, Rob and I stepped out on our first official date. We were babies, but somehow, we got lucky enough to find each other so early in life. Twenty years. Wow.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, 20 years...I wish you'd stop putting that number in print! As I recall, I was semi-present for the 1st unofficial date. Didn't it involve a party at Josh's, followed by some late-night swimming? Good stuff. Imagine if we'd known then what we know now! =)

Jill said...

What a memory you have...you scare me! That seems like a million years ago, doesn't it? Fun times. Happily, the first official date was much classier than a frat party (although that WAS a fun night)! I remember driving your car that night and having to pull over so Andrea could throw up on the side of the road (and not in your car). I'm certain you're still thanking me for that. :)

Unknown said...

And you've been blessed with each other ever since. Amy and I also started officially dating in '91 and we've been together for half of our lives now. Scary thought isn't it? Happy for you guys.

Jill said...

1991 was clearly a good year, wasn't it? Congrats to you and Amy on 20 years! (The "half of our lives" thing dawned on me too -- really scary).