Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Vaccination Blues and Sisterly Love

Jill's Journal: Whew. I’m glad that’s over.

In the 16 months we’ve been on the road, we’ve been blessed with good health for our three little ones and, happily, have had no need to visit a doctor. However, after turning four last month, Victoria was due for some immunizations, the last four boosters in her early childhood series. After having no luck in Tahoe, I was thrilled to find a pediatric practice here in Carson City that would take us. She and I set off early this morning for our appointment.

Victoria walked in with trepidation and walked out with what I hope isn’t a lifelong distrust of doctors. The doctor was nice, but the nurse was brusque and the “pinches” I’d warned her about upset her terribly. I’d told her ahead of time they would put medicine in her legs to help keep her healthy in the future, but that was no consolation. She was so sad, poor child. Then she was mad. And she’s not a child who forgets -- I have a feeling the next time I mention “doctor” to Victoria, she’ll run and hide.

I felt so bad about her misery that as I was trying to soothe her tears, I resorted to the oldest Mom trick in the book. I told her she’d been very brave and brave girls should get ice cream on the way home. Ten minutes later, on the way out the door, she told me, “It doesn’t hurt as much now. I don’t need ice cream anymore.”

I told her I was glad her legs were better and that we could still get ice cream. This very grown-up little 4-year-old said, “No, that’s okay. Not without my sisters.” Bless her heart! I love that these girls love each other so much.

5 comments:

gretchenhs said...

Wow, I was upset from reading about her pain, will you buy me an ice cream? *grin*
What a great girl you have!!

Diana said...

Oh my goodness, how did you not cry on the spot from the sheer sweetness?! I might've considered bringing some to my sisters after I'd had mine (or maybe not!), but I sure wouldn't have missed the chance entirely. Those big sisters owe her big time & they don't even know it!! =)

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Bless her heart!!!! We didn't do vacc. then started slowly but not all, I remember the devastation and betrayal in their eyes and felt so bad!! But they did so well and then breathed it all away...we now haven't followed up since we have no travel planned, but those are the hard parenting moments for sure. Way to go mama! She mirrors you....:-)

Jill said...

What sweet and wonderful Mom friends I have -- love you all and thank you for your comments!!

Unknown said...

Wow, I remember both sides of the get an ice cream trick. If I'd have had brothers or sisters, I most assuredly would have gone without them and my Dad would have picked some god awful flavor to bring home for them. (His favorites are Spumoni, and Pistachio)