Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vegas baby.... VEGAS!

A well-known line from the small film Swingers, that title is what I shout just about every time I come to Vegas. I included a clip of the scene below, just so you can understand the inflection and scream it along with me...


We made our journey up on Saturday and I got to cross that drive up I-15 from California off my list of "must-drives". I'd never driven into Vegas the "traditional" way, at least the one you always see in the movies. Interestingly, I think that driving into Vegas during the day, with all the new overpasses and construction is not nearly as aesthetic as driving into Reno on I-80E, nor as clear-you've-crossed-the-line as driving into Atlantic City (with the sign and the overpass). That being said - it's still Vegas, and still a sight.

While photographing the Welcome sign at the top of the post, I ran into a guy that somehow thinks he looks like Elvis (because of the jumpsuit?) and sits in the first parking spot by the sign in a 1956 pink Cadillac waiting for people to jump at the chance to take a picture with "Elvis" in Vegas. This lady in the photo was overjoyed to get a pic. Now, Elvis wouldn't have worn a jumpsuit when he drove a 56 Caddy, he only ever bought a pink Caddy for his mother, and after a little research I found out that Elvis probably never owned or bought (then gave-away) a 1956 pink Caddy. Now, Elvis also probably never drove around in one with the front emblem missing nor the wipers taped to the windshield, but this is Vegas - a town where pretty much everything goes, if only you believe in it. Clearly, he does well enough to know that plenty of people want to believe.

As a side note - in doing the research I discovered that anyone out there making fun of the Wiggles (a group of Australian men that sing kids' songs) -- well, they should just stop. I found out that Greg Page, a Wiggle, not only purchased the last car Elvis ever owned for $100,000+, but that he owns the fourth largest collection of Elvis memorabilia in the world. Clearly, there is something about the Wiggles.  Even stranger - when doing a search of the blog to see if Jill had ever posted about the Wiggles - she had, and it was about Elvis... scary?

We'll be here a few days not only to visit the town, but so that I can cheer my friend on in the World Series of Poker "Main Event". A $10,000 buy-in event that millions of people watch on TV each year on ESPN. I don't know how far he'll go, but I like his chances. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to play in that game - but I haven't truly practiced poker in so long that I wouldn't even waste the entry fee for a satellite game (where you can enter a bigger game for a reduced fee if you win). Good luck Gary - I'm proud you're living your dream! (pic from a 2009 WSOP event)

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I love to visit Vegas!
Liz was the #1 Wiggles fan when she was little. We had everything Wiggles and watched it non-stop! We even went to a Wiggles concert, which she absolutely LOVED. LOL
It was the modern day Seasame Street for us.

Have fun!!!

Jill said...

Gretch, Erika and I made it to a Wiggles concert too -- 2007 at Rupp Arena. We should have all gone together! I laugh whenever I think of it because it was seriously one of the best concerts I've ever been to (and you and I have been to some good ones together!)! Too funny.