Friday, April 15, 2011

All Shook Up

Jill's Journal: After around seven years of listening almost exclusively to children’s music in the car and at home, I decided it was time to expand everyone’s horizons. This adult has heard more Sunday School songs, children’s classics, and The Wiggles hits than should be legal. And I think the kids are ready to shake things up a little too.

I recently went though our stack of CDs (Rob tells me CDs are so old-fashioned, but did they even have iPods seven years ago when I ceased being a grown-up and became a Mom? – don’t answer that, as they probably did) and pulled out several I thought would be fun and as close to innocent as I could find.

We started with Elvis, because if he was wild in the 50s, he should be pretty tame by today’s standards. Holy cow – the girls love him!! Erika’s favorite so far is “Hard-Headed Woman” and Madelyn and Victoria vote for “Hound Dog.” We’re having so much fun singing at the top of our lungs in the car. Please don’t laugh too hard if you see us.

Next on tap may be The Police or Toby Keith or Wham! I think I may be even more excited than the girls are. Scratch that. I know I’m more excited. Seven years is a reeeeally long time to listen to children's music.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless The Wiggles & all their cohorts, but there just comes a point...congratulations!

-Diana

Anonymous said...

the girls will make Beppy happy
listening to Elvis, her all time
great,she would sing along and
not miss a word.

grandpa

Anonymous said...

How about the Supremes and Simon and Garfunkel and the Beach boys and Jan and dean you are in calif. It is by todays music very tame and classic. Then you could throw in Some Early Dolly Parton and Roy Orbison, or Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Rick Nelson, Welcome to the world of early Adult listening.
Andee

Unknown said...

Elizabeth used to LOVE the Dixie Chicks, and Tom Petty. We never played the "children's music" for them. From the sound of things, I'm glad we didn't. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I recently sang the Wham Rap to the girls - they thought I was nuts. LOL. I have to admit, we rarely listen to kids' music anymore. Lots of K-Love and Jack FM. =) There's nothing sweeter than hearing your children sing praise music, although I still need some good ol' rock sometimes... I suppose listening to the radio is "old school" too, huh?

~Jennifer

Jill said...

Wham Rap!?! Oh Jennifer, THIS might be why we're friends. :) Next time we're together, we'll sing it together over our margaritas!

gretchenhs said...

Music is definitely one of my favorite things! Liz and I listen to christian radio all the time and I agree with Jennifer's comment, there is nothing as wonderful as your child singing along with praise music at the top of her lungs! LOL

Liz was also started young on Toby Keith, she used to yell TOBY! when he would come on the radio!! LOL

Love you!