Monday, February 28, 2011

The Best-Laid Plans…

Jill's Journal: We were supposed to be gone from Templeton and the Central Coast by now. Long gone. But, one of the great things about this lifestyle is the gift of flexiblity. We can bend our schedule and our traveling because sometimes life throws little curveballs. Or massive curveballs, as in the case of long-time family friends.

Last Wednesday, we were all packed up and ready to leave the next morning, already having stayed much longer in this wonderful San Luis Obispo area than we intended. (But it’s so lovely and there’s so much to enjoy about the area and Rob was so pleased to be getting so many projects done and Kristi and Adam have been such gracious and kind hosts…) But that evening, we got the call that the lives of my parents’ closest friends were changed forever by sudden and unexpected loss. This couple and their three boys have been part of our extended family for about 25 years.

With heavy hearts for their loss, Rob and I decided to stay an extra week so Kristi and I could make the five-hour journey to attend the funeral later this week together. We’ll meet my parents and brother so we can go as a family (Rob will stay at home with the girls). And I really want to hug my Dad, who is especially torn up. This is the very first of my parents’ close friends to pass away and he was only 55. Life is way too short sometimes. Rest in peace, Eddy. I know you’ll be sharing your giant laughs, ready smiles, and big bear hugs with all of us from heaven.

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know loss very well during the month of February. 8 people that were close to me or my family and friends were taken from the world. It's been the worst month of my life and my heart goes out to you all. Safe travels and focus on the good times is all I can advise. Love you.

Jill said...

Gretchen, I sure thought of you while I was writing this. I have only an inkling of what a heart-wrenching time these last few weeks have been for you. Much love and many hugs to you, dear friend. You and your family remain in my prayers.