Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dissipating Doubts

Jill's Journal: I love this journey we’re on. We love this journey we’re on. And although we get asked frequently when and where we’ll settle down, we honestly don’t know those answers yet. Maybe it’ll be in three years like we originally thought. Or maybe it’ll be five years or 10 years. And where it will be, we have not even an inkling of an idea.

We’re enjoying this journey a whole heck of a lot and our kids are learning and seeing so much. Add that to our regular homeschooling curriculum and they’re certainly not short on education.

But…

Every now and then, I feel a bitter twang of regret and guilt. Are we doing the right thing for our children? Our kids no longer have the Valentine’s parties with their classes or the school plays or the church choirs. Are they missing out? Are those rights of passage through childhood? Will they look back and feel they missed out?

It turns out I’m not alone.

A homeschooling blog I enjoy just addressed pretty much my very same worries, even though it’s focused of course on homeschooling and doesn’t take into account the traveling we’re throwing on top of that. But, still, isn’t it funny how the timing of some things could not be more perfect?

One of my favorite lines is: “Whatever doubts I have now and then dissipate when I take but one minute to reflect on what really matters.”

For us, what really matters includes being together as a family and raising our kids with a good balance of love, fun, and discipline. We've got those covered. So, maybe I shouldn’t worry so much. I think we’ll be just fine after all.

2 comments:

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Okay, so I have this saved on my browser since you posted trying to find the time to write you...still don't have that time but can share this. You are both awesome parents! What you are doing is such a gift in itself to your children. Once upon a time, someone wrote 'this is how life will look'...I always feel it is up to me to change that, since I don't want to look how everyone else does. How boring. There are hundreds of thousands of hours in our life's journey. Right now, today, you are on THIS journey which is creating the most wonderful memories some never will have---think of all the people who have never seen the ocean or left their home town! While, yes, it is not typical now it is priceless. And the friends/penpals your children have now/creating through this trip will last forever in amazing ways. To be able to say 'I know people all over the world.' is pretty awesome! All you need is love...Peace friends!

Jill said...

Andrea, I so treasure your comment. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm going to pull it out again and again whenever I need a boost. Meeting people like you is a big part of what makes our journey through life so special! Can't wait to get back to Virginia and spend some time truly getting to know you. I have a feeling you touch the lives of everyone you meet. Blessings to you!