Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cambria and Harmony

Jill's Journal: We took a beautiful afternoon drive up the coast to see Cambria, where Adam lived for five years and where Kristi and Adam first moved when they came back to California. It’s a darling, touristy, windswept town right on the coast.

There’s a boardwalk on Moonstone Beach Drive that overlooks the little ocean cliffs, complete with the fattest and friendliest squirrels we’ve ever seen.

One thing I love about being on the coast -- either one -- is that I always have a sense of direction. When there's an ocean, I never lose which way is north, south, east, or west. Take away the ocean and I have no clue.

The girls were absolutely enthralled by the rocky beach and loved searching for the most beautiful rocks they could find, all polished smooth by the buffeting waves.

On the way back we stopped in Harmony, one of California’s smallest towns with a population of a whooping 18 residents. Cute, cute, cute, but don’t blink! It would be easy to miss.

1 comment:

Jill said...

My darling Mom sent this to me in an e-mail and I liked it so much I wanted to record it here (hope that's okay, Mom!!):
"...When I was about 13 we went to Hearst Castle and went thru Cambria and Harmony. The name "Harmony" just made such an impression on me. We stopped and I loved it there. I think just artsy type people live there, and I'm certainly not one of them, but I vowed I was going to live there someday. Isn't that funny how kids think?"