Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cuesta Canyon

Jill's Journal: Another day, another beautiful little hike. I’ve always preferred open spaces, but the scenery in this area of the country is distinctive and it’s really growing on me.

Another fantastic little park. It might be safe to say we’ve been to more playgrounds and parks (on both coasts and at several points in between) than the average bear, and it’s also pretty safe to say the San Luis Obispo area parks are the nicest we’ve seen. I’ve said it before, but this must be just one of the many reasons Oprah named this area the happiest in America. And residents here do seem happy. As a general rule, we've also found them to be friendly and very physically active, much more so than many other places in California. And they clearly have fun – this little photo may seem like a snapshot of random people just milling around, but it was close to 30 college-age kids playing “Sloshball” (thanks for the official title, Kristi!). It looks like kickball with a keg. Each player has a beer cup in his or her hand. A few minutes of observation showed there were definite rules and definite times when those cups had to be chugged. Wow – Rob and I both agreed we got gypped in our all-work-and-no-play college experiences!

Another moment of sassiness captured. Madelyn saw I had a camera, stuck her booty out and her hands on her hips, and grinned. Kids are so much fun! And they keep us on our toes with nary a dull moment. Speaking of which, I have to share: Erika is feeling very adult lately with her new, big age of seven. Lately, on walks or hikes, she prefers to walk with me (or us) rather than cavort along with her sisters. I’ve caught her telling the younger girls that “we talk about grown-up things and (they) wouldn’t be interested.” Oh my!

2 comments:

Katy Susienka said...

Oh My Goodness Jill you are making me so homesick-from Pismo Beach to San Luis to Montana De Oro-the whole glorious sheebang. The only thing you left out is a date to do a little adult wine tasting out in in Paso Robles. Great pics-and my don't your girls just look like chips off the old blocks so to speak! : ) Love, Katy Susienka-hometown Arroyo Grande girl.

Jill said...

My dear Katy, former AG/LA and current AZ girl, you know me better than that!! We've squeezed in the adult wine tasting in Paso not once, but twice. :) You certainly grew up in a sensational area -- it must have contributed to your all-around awesomeness! Can't wait to pay you a visit. XOXO