Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Derby Day

Jill's Journal: On this, my very favorite day of the entire year, my heart especially swells with pride for our adopted home state. There is nothing like Derby Day. My heart is in Kentucky today.

When I told the girls Derby Day is my favorite day of the year, they were mortified – how could I like Derby Day more than Christmas? Oh, but I do. The Kentucky Derby is like Christmas and every other joyous occasion all wrapped up together in one thrilling, heart-pounding, exquisite package. The anticipation; the electricity in the air; the most exciting two minutes in sports. The sun truly shines bright on my old Kentucky home…

So today, as we enjoyed the Kentucky Derby on television from 2,300 miles away, I reminisced about all the wonderful Derbies we were privileged to attend under those beloved, historic twin spires. And how surreal it is to see folks we’ve personally worked with win. Congratulations, Barry –another Californian turned Kentuckian— and Kathleen.

No comments: