Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Muir Woods

Jill's Journal: If we hadn’t lived among the spectacular redwoods in Felton a few weeks ago and enjoyed the tranquil and awe-inspiring Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, I think Muir Woods would have been very impressive. And Muir Woods National Monument – home of 1,000-year-old Coastal Rewoods -- was indeed lovely, but it was also jam-packed with people, as everything around San Francisco is, and it was just sort of a let-down. A very crowded let-down! I know people rave about this place, so I hesitate being negative, but it’s hard not to compare it to the lesser-known Henry Cowell and it truly paled in comparison. The nicest thing about it is that it’s only 12 miles from San Francisco and I’m certain is a welcome escape for city dwellers.

In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt declared Muir Woods a national monument. It was the first U.S. monument on land donated by a private individual. In 1945, the United Nations charter was drafted and signed in San Francisco with 50 countries represented by delegates. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was to have opened the conference, but died shortly beforehand. The delegates held a commemorative ceremony for him in Muir Woods, in an area now called Cathedral Grove.

The girls had fun on our hike around Muir Woods and if a disappointing day at a national monument is our biggest problem, we’re doing a-okay. I do have to say the road to and from Muir Woods will stand out for me longer than anything else about the actual trees – it is among the hairiest drives I’ve done! There’s nothing like a crazy twisty, motion-sickness inducing, narrow, two-lane road with not even a curb to protect a wayward car from plunging down a 750-foot mountain. It makes my palms sweaty all over again just to think about it. Even the girls paused from their singing to stare out of the window and say, “This is a little scary, Mommy.” Why yes, I quite agreed! Happily, we’ve lived to tell the tale.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to have to drive that road in my Pacific Bell van. I guess you get used to it after a while, I had forgotten how hair-raising it is.

It's funny that you mention that it was packed with people, but in your photos there's not another person in sight. ;)

Jill said...

Ha ha -- I wondered if anyone would notice that! That's called patient picture-taking, selective editing, and sweet people who waited to walk in front of us until after I'd pressed the shutter. :)

Unknown said...

Having lived and worked in/near the redwoods my entire life, I can honestly say you never get tired of seeing them. Muir and Armstrong are two of my favorite parks in CA.

Jill said...

I believe it. Those trees are phenomenal. You must miss them, but surely your proximity to Yellowstone helps ease the pain a little. :) Like I said to you on Facebook, you grew up in a pretty awesome area. And I hope you know I wasn't hating on Muir Woods -- it was just different from what I expected, from all the build-up of years and years of hearing good things about it.