Thursday, May 26, 2011

Protons, Neutrons, Microbes?

Jill's Journal: We’re getting close to celebrating one year on the road and a big part of our journey has included the new frontier (for us) of homeschooling.

As a now-homeschooling parent, I’m pretty sure I’m learning more on this second passage through preschool and first grade than I ever did when I was a kid. Protons and neutrons? I never cared one iota about them in high school science class (may poor Mr. Fritch be resting in peace), but learning about them with Madelyn in the simple book “What’s Smaller than a Pgymy Shrew?” is awesome.

And microbes? I must have tuned Mr. Fritch out (and my college professors too), but I don’t think I even knew the definition of a microbe until reading “Pasteur’s Fight Against Microbes” with Erika. Fascinating stuff.

Not only are the kids thriving, but so are we as a family. Using a literature-based curriculum has opened up so many doors and interests for these girls. The things they're learning are amazing. The things I’m learning are amazing. (Rob has a science/math/technical mind, so I doubt any of this is new to him but maybe he’ll pick up some language arts or history – ha ha! Just teasing, my dear.). Clearly, homeschooling is great for the whole family.

No comments: