Monday, May 30, 2011

Skytrail Gondola and Trees of Mystery

Jill's Journal: We’ve certainly seen our share of redwoods these past several weeks, but today marked the first time we’ve been above the massive treetops. The Skytrail Gondola near Klamath, California takes passengers on about a half-mile ride each way above the trees (and up a mountain). The girls loved the ride almost as much as they loved teasing their mother about not being overly fond of heights.

The views are fantastic, even in the rain.

The Skytrail is part of the Trees of Mystery, which showcases all kinds of unusual but natural phenomenons as the tenacious redwoods adapt to their environment. One of our favorites was this, the Candelabra Tree. Note the three trees growing out of the trunk of a living horizontal tree.

“Sink down, Oh traveler, on your knees
God stands before you in these trees.” –Anonymous

I stepped back as the girls were exploring 49’ tall Paul Bunyan and 35’ tall Babe at the entrance/exit. It was as I was snapping this picture I realized with half horror and half hilarity that the girls had discovered the “anatomical-correctness” of Babe the Blue Ox (can you spot them under there?). They were most intrigued by his massive “bump” and were leaping up repeatedly to see who could slap it. I thought it was most humorous, but Rob was not quite as amused and quickly hustled them away. Life is never dull with kids. Never ever ever.

Paul Bunyan can wave and wink while he talks constantly to visitors (via a man and a microphone). He didn’t mind the girls sitting on his immense boot, much to their delight.

5 comments:

gretchenhs said...

The bump comment cracked me up, that's what Liz calls it too. She loves to try and figure out the sex of animals these days. You should see her at the zoo! Ugh!
I love the trees coming out of the horizontal one, very cool.

Jill said...

Gretchen, does Liz draw anatomically-correct "bumps" on every animal she draws too?? All three of our girls do that -- it cracks me up!! They also peek under every animal they see to figure out whether it's a boy or girl...please tell me it's just the age!!

gretchenhs said...

I do hope it's just an age! LOL
I don't think I've seen her draw a bump yet, that would make me LOL for sure!
Our girls are growing up way too fast! haha

Unknown said...

All I can say is, "Bwa ha ha ha ha ha -the bumps... ha ha ha ha."

Too funny.

Jill said...

Gary -- I know!! They even call udders on cows, horses, etc. "bumps." They draw a lot of horses -- their girl horses have two little bumps, boy horses have one really big bump!! You have older kids -- tell me the bump obsession lessens. Or maybe it doesn't?!?