Sunday, May 29, 2011

Twenty Questions

Jill's Journal: In a few days, we will mark what we consider the one-year anniversary of RV for 5: the day we signed the papers selling our home (which also happened to be the same day we turned over the keys and the same day we officially began living in a “trailer”). Of course, preparing for that date took many, many months and the last days leading up to it were probably the craziest and most chaotic of our lives. Somehow, everything got done. How, we’re not sure, because those last days are a haze in our memories. Adrenaline about what was to come and about the enormity of what we’d just done must have carried us through.

Happily, life has been a little calmer since then. It’s busy, to be sure, but more serene (or at least as serene as it can be with three noisy, energetic little girls whose volume control button mysteriously stopped working). Rob no longer has a lawn to mow nor flower beds to tend. I no longer have school runs, nor gymnastics, choir, and other activities for the girls. Instead, we get to focus that time on our family and on learning about the world around us. How sweet it is.

We’ve come into our own on this trip. We’re at ease with this lifestyle. We love exploring each new place. We crave the adventure and the education. Yes, it’s unconventional, but it’s our “normal” at this point. We are loving this journey.

But no matter where we go, if we share what we’re doing, people have questions – and lots of them – for us. That made us wonder about you, silent readers -- do you have questions for us? It still unnerves me to write something nearly every day and not know who, if anyone other than a few loyal family members and friends, is reading.

So, to celebrate our one-year anniversary, we’d like to know if you have any questions about our crazy lifestyle. Ask away. No topic is off-limits. The comments section is a perfect place for you to post a question or if you’d prefer to send us an email, that’s fine too. We’ll answer any questions you have right here in a few days, as well as post some of our reflections on our first year on the road. We look forward to the dialogue. Talk to us!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that there were problems with the comment process, so I changed it. Please let us know if you have any trouble making comments. - R.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rob

Love, MOM VP

Unknown said...

How does one celebrate one year of homelessness?

Joe Stone said...

Jill,
We don't have any questions, but I wanted to let you know that we read your blog. I love to show Will the pictures of Erika and let him read about some of your adventures! You're having such an amazing adventure as a family - so awesome! We miss you around here, but we LOVE reading about your new life. Keep educating us about the great US! - Julie Stone

Jill said...

Julie, thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement. It was just what I needed tonight!! Hope you are all doing well -- blessings to you and Will and the rest of your sweet family.

gretchenhs said...

I love your blog so much, I feel like I still have you around to some extend, listening to your voice. I actually got a trivia question correct because of something you put in your blog in the past. I was pretty excited, so I'm learning too. Liz loves the pictures as well.

My question, out of all the places you've been, if you had to choose right now, where would you move to and why.

gretchenhs said...

Oh and p.s. Rob, the comment section is SOOO much better now.
Gretch

Dragon15 said...

I love reading the blog. You make each adventure come alive. I actually went through the LEX portion to pick up ideas for Cat and I for our upcoming visit. I wish it was an adventure with you but we'll wait our turn. (o:
Grandpa isn't doing well so this is a necessary trip for Cat and I. Things end up working out the way they need to. Keep up the wonderful blog.

Jill said...

April and Gretchen, thank you for the generous and amazing encouragement! How did you know that was just what I needed? (I've been thinking long and hard lately about discontinuing the blog and wonderful feedback like yours helps refresh my perspective). So, truly, thank you.

April, so sorry your darling Grandpa is failing. He is a gem -- please give him my best. So glad you're going to visit.

Gretchen, what a fantastic question -- we'll answer it soon!