Thursday, September 23, 2010

Butterfly Kisses

Jill's Journal: What little girl doesn’t love butterflies? After school this afternoon, I took the girls to The Butterfly Place in nearby Westford, Massachusetts. Not only did they have a homeschooling discount, but the wonderful lady gave us a short private tour since she said when you homeschool, everything is an education.

This fantastic place has a large atrium with hundreds and hundreds of free-flying butterflies of all shapes, sizes, and species. There were SO many butterflies and we got so close that we could literally see them sipping nectar from flowers. The girls were awed by butterfly eggs and all stages of the insect from caterpillars to cocoons to chrysalides (all alive).

The girls thought it was “awesome” and to be honest, I did too! The koi fish, quail birds, and Gouldian Finches living among the butterflies completed the “awesomeness.”

Here’s Madelyn having a conversation with a butterfly. Victoria didn’t love it when the big ones got too close. And Erika was smitten. She told me hours after the fact that she wants to have her wedding there someday! I didn’t know she was thinking of such things yet…

This is Bob, who is surely the most kid-friendly butterfly expert in history. All three girls --even the notoriously standoffish-to-strangers Victoria-- were ready to take him home with us. Photo by Madelyn. :)

3 comments:

gretchenhs said...

That looks like a little piece of heaven to me.
I was a little shocked to hear of Erika's wedding aspirations! LOL Tell her we'll come and to be sure to tell us who her future husband will be!

Love you all!

Jill said...

Miss G, I was a little shocked myself!! Trust me, there will be no wedding anytime soon. She won't even be allowed to date until she's 25... :)

gretchenhs said...

After Liz's school pictures came out last week my father exclaimed he'd be over to start "cleaning" his shot gun on our front porch way before he was planning on it. Steve replied that he already bought the cleaner so he could join him out there.
Poor girl....I don't know if I ever told you about my father actually doing that (well sort of) for a guy I wasn't even dating once. Scared the crap out of him!