Friday, September 3, 2010

It’s Raining, It’s Pouring…

Jill's Journal: Even though Hurricane Earl, or what’s left of it, wasn’t supposed to hit our area of Rhode Island until later this afternoon, I stepped outside this morning and immediately called an audible on the day’s plans. It looked a little ominous out there even at the early hour. I’m not the weather junkie that Rob is, but a quick look on weather.com said we were still under a tropical storm warning. I thought we could do something fun this morning and beat the storm home, but there was no sense in getting caught in something crazy. We’ve never been in a tropical storm, much less a hurricane, and I’m sure it’s a wilder ride than we need.

The rain started around noon and although it hasn’t been anything too outrageous, the winds haven’t hit yet and much more rain is supposed to come. We already have pooled water all around the fifth wheel, so we might be our own little island by tomorrow.

A stop at the campground office made me shake my head. The locals were mocking the hurricane with comments like, “Bring it on.” And, “Winds of 70mph? Whoop-de-doo. That’s nothing.” I’ve noticed all week that people around here look and act a little rougher than further south. New Englanders are tough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"called an audible"
Hee hee, you used a sports reference...YOU!!! :)

-Diana

Jill said...

Bite your tongue, Gervasi! I was a horse racing sportswriter once upon a time, remember? I just might have a few sports references up my sleeve! :)