Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Massachusetts! Massachusetts!

Jill's Journal:
Massachusetts! Massachusetts!
Lovely Bay State by the sea,
Chosen by the Pilgrim Fathers
In their search for liberty.

Massachusetts! Massachusetts!
How we love your Indian name!
Meaning “Great Blue Hill” in Boston,
Named before the white men came.
--by Katherine E. Mullen


Remember how much I loved Connecticut? We’ve only been in Massachusetts a day and I already like it at least as much as Connecticut, maybe more! Rob and I had been to Boston once, years and years ago for a friend’s wedding, and loved it then. Now, in the country, Massachusetts is even better.

Our address this week (and next) is Plymouth, the very same “Plimoth” that the Pilgrims landed in nearly 400 years ago, in 1620. The town is quaint and charming and of course touristy, but in a lovely sort of way rather than a campy sort of way.

And our campground! It’s the nicest one we’ve been in to date. It’s in the middle of a 200-acre white pine forest, with a 50-acre lake smack dab in the middle and only steps away from our campsite. Bee-u-ti-ful.

And, holy cow -- there’s so much to see here! Oh yes, we are going to enjoy our time in Massachusetts immensely. I know it already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have the girls had a chance to climb on the big rock with 1620 carved in it. I was 17 when I first saw Plymouth Rock and I was a little disappointed I guess I hoped for something bigger. At that age little thought was given to the fact that the first pilgrims came with very little and very few tools.

Schooling will go well for you as it is one on one education and you have a much broader range of knowledge than most text books cover. Besides you don't have to discipline 20 other children.
Love and miss you all,
Mom

Katie Lady said...

Tim & I have often said if Boston wasn't so far from all our family, we'd live there! Enjoy for me, too!

Jill said...

Katie, maybe we should start our own little Massachusetts Colony?!