Saturday, September 11, 2010

Clam Chowder

Jill's Journal: Clam chowder makes me think of my Dad. When I was little, my family didn’t go out to eat often, but when we did, my dear Dad always got excited if it was a Friday. A Friday meant clam chowder was on the menu at just about any restaurant. He loves the stuff and I always have too. I’ve even found myself doing the same little happy dance inside if it happens be a Friday and I’m eating out. I fully attribute this to my father!

Well, Dad, I wouldn’t want to rub it in or anything (!), but in Massachusetts, it's "Friday" everyday. I don’t know about breakfast, but you can certainly have clam chowder for lunch and dinner every single day of the week. And I’ve discovered there’s a reason they call it New England Clam Chowder. The stuff on the West Coast (even at that place in Pismo Beach) just doesn’t hold a candle to the stuff out here. There’s all sorts of carry-out windows and restaurants right on the wharf where the clams go straight to the kitchen off the boat. And believe me, it’s goooooood. So.very.very.very.goooooood.

For less than a Starbucks coffee, I’ve gotten a big bowl of clam chowder the last few days to go with our dinner. Each restaurant’s version is a little different and each heavenly in its own way. I think it would take several weeks to sample every possible one just in Plymouth alone. I’d sure like to give that a try! Care to join me, Dad? :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My Dad would have me ride my bike into town on and meet him for lunch when I was growing up.

I loved going on Fridays as we always ordered fish and chips and a cup of clam chowder. The year our family did our New England trip I was in heaven.

P.S.- New England is great for clam chowder, but don't forget about Northern California. San Francisco, Bodega Bay, Fort Bragg, and Eureka all have excellent chowders.

Anonymous said...

Dear daughter,
On a sunday morning must you taunt
your father because he has no chowder?

dad

thegang@RVfor5.com said...

Arden, As I was reading this over my morning cup of chowdah - I was thinking the same thing. How rude. ;)

R.

Jill said...

Gary -- I've had some wonderful chowder in Northern Cal too but I stand by my original assessment. The clam chowder in New England just cannot be beat. It's kind of like the sparkling wine in CA -- it's very, very good, but it's just not quite France's champagne. (Or like Tennessee trying to replicate Kentucky bourbon...!)

And dear father...yes. Ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

just keep it up!!

Dad