Saturday, September 18, 2010

Edaville USA: “World of Fun”

Jill's Journal: I figure the girls have gotten just about an entire school year’s worth of history/government/social studies in the last two weeks alone, so when I heard about Edaville USA, I knew we had to visit even though it had no educational value whatsoever. This kiddie amusement park in Carver (right next door to Plymouth) is part country fair, part family fun park, and 100% old-fashioned. It’s like stepping back in time to 1947, when it was built, but with the charm and without the wear and tear of the last 60+ years.

The girls loved every single minute. We took a break from the carnival-type rides to enjoy an historic train ride around the property and I couldn’t help but notice the gigantic smiles on their faces. Erika looked at me and exclaimed, “This is a world of fun!”

One drawback: every single ride seemed to spin in a circle. The girls thought this was the greatest thing in the world. This particular adult didn’t agree. Most of the rides required an adult with a little one, so I had no choice but to ride along. I get queasy on a swing, for goodness' sakes. By the time we hit the Tilt-a-Whirl, which I prefer to call the torture machine of death, I was probably already green from spinning on the elephant, the astronaut, the carousel, and goodness knows what else.

I nearly lost my breakfast on the Tilt-a-Whirl with its individual cars spinning independently (and violently!) while the entire ride spins in circles (and circles and circles and circles). Of course, all three girls thought it was the Greatest Ride in the Entire World and wanted to go again and again and again. I had no choice but to call for reinforcements. Rob graciously dropped what he was doing in the RV and took my place while I waited for the floor to stop spinning. It never quite did for the rest of the day! Torture machine of death.

No comments: