Thursday, September 2, 2010

Update on the 'cane.

I'm making my list of preparations, and thought I'd put out an update for everyone from how I see it. Right now the track and strength have changed pretty dramatically from when I wrote this morning. Facts are that it could get much weaker before it gets here, but even with it the way it is now, I think we're in fine shape.

As of about an hour ago, the projected path by NOAA takes it out of RI and down to a Category 1 when it passes. We have a 50/60% chance of seeing tropical winds (+/- 39MPH average over a one minute period). As any poker player will tell you - that's a coin flip, and purely a maybe-maybe not thought. I'm currently on the maybe not side. I'm thinking it will weaken and move out enough that we'll see some winds, we'll see plenty of rain, but nothing too significant, at least - nothing to be too worried about.

I've prepped as I've been taught. Gas tanks are full if we need to leave, cased water in the house in case something goes really wrong, but the cool thing about being in an RV is that we don't suffer from the problems that traditional houses would. Think about it - if the electricity fails, I'm already setup for that both through 12V and a generator. If city water fails, I have a full tank of more water than we can conservatively use in a week. If gas fails - it can't fail because I already carry more than I can use in a few days now. If traffic is bad, we pull over and have the house with us.

In reality, the biggest thing we have to worry about is damage from the winds, and we've already survived a good set of gusts of 45+ in Chincoteague... which I admit I should have been better prepared for then, and why our youngest is currently freaked out at the thought of 'Storms', but I know better now and am prepared. Especially for this one.

Yes - "tornados love trailer parks", but we have advanced warning of this out-in-the-ocean twister, so all will be well. Will I stay up tomorrow night, on-point, without beer? - you betcha. Am I worried right now that we'll have to move? - not a bit. Will I be prepared should things take a turn for the worse? - already am. Tomorrow's gonna be just fine, just spent comforting a 2-year-old about the big rain. Jill and I are ok with that. :)

No comments: