Friday, October 29, 2010

Pilgrimage to Saratoga

Jill's Journal: In all our years in Lexington, we watched an exodus every summer as probably 95% of our racing friends made their annual treks to Saratoga. Sometimes it was just for a weekend and sometimes for six weeks at a time, but they all came back with the Saratoga glow. We were regaled with story after story about how wonderful Saratoga is and how the racing world convenes at the historic upstate New York spot for working vacations and the social highlight of the year, sort of like they do in Kentucky for the Keeneland meets, the auctions, and the Derby. “But Saratoga is different…” they would say. “It’s special. I can’t believe you’ve never been. You have to go.”

I’ve always desperately wanted to go, of course, but one circumstance or another always kept us away.

And that is why I was SO thrilled to be able to see “The Spa” for myself today. It’s off-season, so it’s not anywhere close to the same and I know that. The race course is shuttered tight, the social racing scene is non-existent, and the thousands of racing people and top horses are scattered throughout the country and world (many ready to converge on Kentucky next week for the Breeders’ Cup). Even our one year-long Saratoga friend is not here right now, but in Kentucky preparing for next week’s championship.

BUT, I finally got to at least get a visual and see Saratoga for myself. The hallowed grounds of the oldest track in America (established 1864) hold the most prestigious race meet in the country. The gates were padlocked, but I found Paul the Super Nice Security Guard, who let me come in for a few minutes and take a few snapshots from two different vantage points. History oozes out of that racetrack. I could almost hear the hoof beats of so many greats.

A few years ago, Sports Illustrated ranked the world’s top 20 sports venues of the 20th century. Yankee Stadium was first, followed by Augusta National, and several other immediately recognizable names. Saratoga was #10 on the list, ranking well above household names like Pebble Beach, Wembley Stadium, Daytona International Raceway, Rose Bowl, and so many more.

“From New York City you drive north for about 175 miles, turn left on Union Avenue, and go back 100 years. With its striped awnings, old wooden clubhouse and grandstand, and paddock shaded by elms, Saratoga transports you back to the days when people came to the races in surreys with the fringe on top.” -- SI

The Oklahoma training track and Horse Haven are literally across the street, just like everyone says. The famous restaurant hangout Siro’s is just out one of the side gates, just like I’d heard. And there was Fasig-Tipton and the Reading Room and so many other landmarks. All right there and all beautiful.

Seeing it for myself was surreal and wonderful and very special for me. I loved every minute and the girls were as patient as little kids can be as I exclaimed over one spot after another. The stately mansions all around the track, many in the Queen Anne style, only add to the aura of this very special place. I only wish Rob could have seen it with me, but he tells me he’s more interested in seeing it during the live meet when it must be positively pumped with energy and excitement.

We don’t want to constantly be planning to return to places we see, but this one is clearly a must. This little pilgrimage was a huge treat for me. I cannot wait to share it with Rob.

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I can just feel your excitement in your writing. I could almost hear the foot poundings right here in my seat. I love that you got to see at, and I can only imagine your wonderful writing when you get to see a race there.

Jill said...

Gretchen, you are so sweet. Thank you, my friend. :)