Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Adventures in (High) Altitude

Jill's Journal: Altitude used to be a dirty word in my book. Every single time I flew in an airplane, I got altitude sickness. Every time Rob took me to Tahoe, I got altitude sickness. One time, at approximately 9,000 feet in Colorado, I got so sick that I’m told I stopped breathing and turned blue. I don’t remember any of that. I just remember losing use of my limbs and being revived from a heap on the floor. Yes, altitude has never been my friend. Climbing Mt. Everest will never be on my list. Give me the Mediterranean instead. I’m more of a sea level-loving kind of gal.

So, it was with a little trepidation we embarked on some of these mountain adventures the last few months. First notably “high place” was Crater Lake. Surprisingly, I didn’t have any problem, even on strenuous hikes. Then it was Tahoe, where I’ve notoriously had trouble. Again, and even more surprisingly, no problem. Now it’s Mammoth Lakes, which at 7,800 feet is higher than either Crater Lake or Lake Tahoe. Amazingly, I seem to be doing just fine. Even more amazingly, my high altitude-loving mountain man of a husband is not. In some cruel twist of fate, he’s the one with altitude sickness this time. I feel for him, because I know it’s not fun. (Happily, the kids are handling it all just fine.)

I’ve even conquered baking in high altitude, thanks to a Google search (what did people do before Google?). Until I met Rob, I had no clue that cooking and baking on a mountain had different rules (due to less dense oxygen and less humidity) than at sea level. And I didn’t care because I had zero desire to ever live in the mountains. But unfortunately, if we’re going to spend time in altitude, my family’s gotta eat. I’ve learned the rules – less baking powder, less sugar, more liquid, higher cooking temperature, etc. – and they actually work. I made a pumpkin caramel cake for Halloween yesterday that was pretty close to perfection, even at the hard-core elevation of 7,800 feet! It’s the little victories that count. Take that, altitude.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, I am proud of you, you have beat the thing that took me most of my thirty years to master, high altitude cooking. Now however, I have to carefully think about not adjusting recipes to high altitude. I am also proud that you baked a Pumpkin {vegetable} and caramel cake for halloween. Hope the girls enjoyed it and had a wonderful day. I intend to mail the girls cards this week things are a little hectic here. Bobby please don't do anything in that altitude too strenuous, high altitude can kill if your not adapted to it. work carefully don't push yourself. Enjoy Yosemite it is lovely.
Andee

Jill said...

Andee, these days Google gives anyone a leg up in mastering something! I don't think you had that benefit when you moved to Tahoe. :) Funny that you now have to think about *not* adjusting recipes.

Unknown said...

Strange that Rob would fall prey to altitude sickness. It usually takes me a day or two to acclimate, and we've found that David's first day or two at altitude will be pretty miserable. I always get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out driving East on the 80 towards Reno, but never going West. Not sure if the climb is more gradual going one way, but it's pretty bad. Used to get sick heading into the Tetons, but the last few times I've been OK.

Diana said...

My dad lives in the AZ mountains & I'm told that one of the reasons why potato chip bags are always just half full is because of the pressure changes when they ship them to high-altitude stores. All the chip bags in Dad's pantry are puffed up like balloons! Who knew?!

Jill said...

*Gary -- how odd about your east verses west sickness. I hate how altitude sickness can strike anyone at anytime and doesn't discriminate. Poor David too. It's a miserable thing. Glad you're getting better with the Tetons...maybe it's age that's curing us? Ack!

*Diana -- craziness! I didn't know that about chip bags either. But, I will say everything sealed in our fridge and cupboards (from yogurt and milk and fresh pasta to shampoo and saline solution for contacts) is puffed out on either the top AND bottom or the sides. Everything. I learned very quickly to open things slowly after a sealed container of mayonnaise exploded all over the kitchen. And I just wanted a sandwich. Like you said, who knew?