Friday, November 18, 2011

New Camera

A few weeks ago I ran into a problem.  I was running around taking a ton of photos during my last day in Tahoe, and set the 'big camera', a Canon 10D, down in the seat - gently.  I heard what seemed like an explosion in it.  I got to my next spot, and tried to shoot some more pictures, but the shutter wouldn't click.  So, reluctantly I took off the lens and pieces of the mirror and shutter fell to the ground.  Clearly, this was a problem.


Now, we've gotten our use out of this camera.  I bought it for Jill the month before Erika was born.  This is the camera that transitioned us from print to digital. Anyone that knows Jill knows that she seriously takes some pictures.  You follow the blog, you've seen the shots.  Now multiply that by about 150 and you can see how many pictures she takes.  We figure the 10D shot tens of thousands of photographs, maybe even 6 figures - in fact, I figure that in developing costs alone it paid for itself 6 or 10 times over...  After she moved on to a smaller camera - for portability - I inherited the 10D, and I've run a bunch through it.

Well,  I like to take pictures too -- a lot.  After the 10D broke, I thought - a new camera costs a lot - I can live through it and use a little Sony point and shoot that Jill has moved on from.  I lasted ONE day, in Yosemite, and it was clear that I needed a new 'big' camera.  I just enjoy photography too much, and this trip is too cool not to document it well from both our perspectives.  Plus, the Sony's autofocus decided to fail during the trip to Yosemite - and I can only ask Jill for her camera so many times... Clearly time for a new camera.

First, let me mention this.  When we set off on our trip we went to the camera store in Lexington that we trust and wanted to clean and refurbish the 10D - big trip, a newish camera would be a good thing.  They said pretty plainly that it would cost more to send the camera to Canon to clean and fix than it was worth.  "Put that money toward a new one, and you'll be happier".  Now, we made a choice and limped it along for 18 months, got our use out of it, and the technology was so old that it was time not for a fix, but a whole new setup. 

So, after a little research, I bought probably the third best SLR camera Canon offers.  I didn't want to spend what #1 and #2 cost, nor does my ability require that level of camera.  There were less expensive cameras, but I wanted something with features and quality that was a step above that.  The 7D is fantastic.  I'm happy to have it, use it, and will strive to learn how to make it do its best.  We love Canons, have a few good lenses, and have had good experiences for, well, better than 18 years.  This will be our 4th SLR from Canon (Rebel II(print), EOS3(print), EOS10D, EOS7D).  I expect this one to last me for another 18 years - or until I find THE picture that I can sell for 5 figures - then I might move up.

Anyway, Jill said - for your F-O-R-T-I-E-T-H birthday, you should treat yourself -- so I did.  (Thanks dear!)  I also bought another lens that I've wanted this entire trip, and since I was already making a new setup work well, I added a few other accessories to make the camera everything I want.  Have I mentioned that it is fantastic?

The new lens is a 10-20 Sigma (a secondary lens manufacturer - I couldn't justify spending what Canon wants for that type of lens) and has opened an entirely new world of photography to me.  You'll see in the pictures below what the camera can now do.  The pic on the left is our really good Canon 28-105 L lens, which I love, but sometimes it doesn't let me get the landscape shot I want without taking multiple pictures and stitching them together.  The one on the right highlights the 10, and shows what the 28 did  from the same spot - whee!



I've only shot a few shots that I consider 'good' since I've started using the new setup.  I'm looking forward to getting some really fantastic shots in the coming months, but thought I'd share the ones that I thought were good here.  I hope you enjoy them too.






3 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, you are just giddy, aren't you? As well you should be! Making pretty pictures is so much fun...enjoy!! =)

Jill said...

You're right -- he is positively giddy and I'm trying very hard not to covet my husband's camera. (That's not working out for me very well.) :)

gretchenhs said...

I'm a Canon girl too as you know and I would love to get my hands on that camera too! NICE bday present Jill! (Don't tell Steve!)

Great shots Rob! Looking forward to seeing what you can do. Love the purple picture!