Thursday, November 17, 2011

The stickers on the rig...

So, somewhere last night I said - I'll blog tonight...  I thought I said - I Could, apparently that meant - "I Would..." here it is... :)

I've left some people hanging on explaining what some stickers mean, and added a couple since the last time I posted them to the blog.  The goal of these, again, is to represent the areas we've been to and significantly explored.  Many are just pieces.  Many are just pieces of bigger stickers or bumper stickers.  I'm cutting them down both for the space a whole sticker would take up and to make them more 'ours'.  There are several missing from earlier in the trip, but we'll catch up on those in the coming weeks.

1 - Columbia River Gourge, OR
2 - Pendleton, OR (Let 'er Buck)
3 - Carousel Horse Museum, CT
4 - Mystery Spot, Santa Cruz, CA
5 - Wildlife Safari, OR
6 - Assateague Island, VA
7 - Fleichman Planaterium, Reno,  NV
8 - Multnomah Falls, OR
9 - Mammoth Lakes, CA
10 - Laguna Seca, CA (zoom zoom)
11 - Harrah's Auto Museum, Reno, NV
12 - Santa Cruz, CA
13 - Good Sam (we belong)
14 - Warning (inset 2)
15 - Yosemite, Valley View
16 - Gone Richter (inset 1)
17 - Oregon Trail
18 -  Mono Lake, CA
X - Reflectives


There were some question about the maps and how they were done.   I made a map of the US and Canada with photoshop, and had the local sign shop make 6 cutouts of it, five colors plus black.  Then, I took the outline of the black and placed it, and then placed the states in the outline as needed.  It took a bit of planning, and if we ever get out of places we've already visited, we'll get the chance to fill up the map.

The vinyl should work well, and last forever  - I drew up an outline on paper so that I could make sure two areas don't touch with the same color.  I'd swear we've filled more of the states up -  it looks a little empty for 18 months.  However, with the criteria we've come up with (see the previous post for more info) , we know that when we fill in a state, that means we've really seen that state.

Inset 1 -- GoneRichter.  Gone, sadly, but not forgotten.  For me, this was the impetus for our trip.  A high-school classmate decided to take a trip.  They bought a huge RV, loaded up an amazing amount of toys, and proceeded to try to travel the country.  This idea, having come to fruition soon after I got on Facebook, made me bring up the idea to Jill and think it was a possibility.  I absolutely had to pay tribute to them directly on the rig.  Unfortunately, their trip did not work out as well as ours has, but they did set our wheels in motion, pun intended, and I will always appreciate that.

Inset 2 -- Mess with my rig and I beat someone. I found this sticker kinda fun, so I put it on the rig. Nothing more, nothing less. I know most would have trouble IDing it without a closeup.

Don't mess with my house. :)

No comments: