Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Jill's Journal: What show on t.v. is more fun than The Ellen DeGeneres Show? My Mom (Beppy), sister (Kristi), and I took a girls’ only, overnight trip to Burbank, California, and the massive Warner Bros. Studio with guaranteed tickets to the show in hand. Oh, the fun we had! (No cameras were allowed, so as much as I'd love to share pictures, I can't!)

We checked in at Warner Bros. as instructed, several hours before filming. We were whisked around the massive studio on a stretch golf cart, detouring around an episode of The Mentalist being filmed. Our driver pointed out where nine out of 10 seasons of Friends were filmed, where ER was filmed (and even the parking lot that doubled as the rooftop helicopter pad – oh the magic of television!), and where so many other pieces of t.v. and movie history happened. We were brought to a special theatre, which was apparently used extensively in the filming of last year’s best picture The Artist, and shown the movie Mirror Mirror, which is being released next week.

After viewing Mirror Mirror, we were driven over to Stage 1 and shown to our seats in the audience with the well-known Ellen set right in front of us. We were in the 10th row, I believe, on the aisle. It was a party from the moment we got in there with constant music and dancing and fun. About 45 minutes later, the show began and it was exactly like you see on t.v. No second takes and actual breaks for commercials (although we didn’t see any commercials – we were played music and expected to dance instead!). Ellen had a short monologue and danced for a very brief time, as it was a day of big-name celebrities on the show.

The first guest of the day was mega-star Julia Roberts, who was way fun and clearly having a good time.

Next was Liam Hemsworth. My Mom, Kristi, and I had no idea who he was, but he’s in The Hunger Games, which came out yesterday (the day after our Ellen Show experience) and is supposed to be the biggest movie of the year.

Then there was a surprise guest…Justin Bieber. Every female in that place under 25 went absolutely nuts, but my Mom, Kristi, and I fell into fits of hysterical laughter. A few days prior, my Mom had emailed Kristi and me to say she thought it might be Julia Roberts on the show (they don’t tell you ahead of time who will be there, but she had seen the t.v. listings and guessed). I had responded saying something to the effect of, “Oh good! At least it’s not some teenybopper like Justin Bieber.” And there he was, right in front of us after I'd said that, which just struck our funny bone.

Justin Bieber was there with a new artist he’d “discovered,” a female singer named Carly Rae Jepson. She performed and, all too quickly, the show was over. Ellen talked to the audience for a moment off camera, which was nice. And then she and her significant other, Portia de Rossi, left.

I’ve always wanted to attend a t.v. taping, as the whole process just fascinates me. But as interesting as that was, I think what my Mom, sister, and I will always remember was the fun we had. I’m so glad we got the experience together. It was an absolute hoot. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

(This was the three of us being silly in the hotel before the show...we were positively punchy (and so hungry) by the end!)

9 comments:

gretchenhs said...

What a HOOT!!!
Mom and I just went on the Martha Stewart show and had a blast as well! When we left, I told mom, I would love to go on the Ellen D show someday!
I'm so glad you all had fun, what a fun time!!
Did you win any prizes?? All we got was a magazine, but it was still a blast.
Julia is like my FAVORITE actress for years, I would have been in heaven. I also went and saw The Hunger Games on opening day, so I know who Liam is as well.

Love ya

Andrea Kanelopoulos - Anam Nostos House said...

Ahhhhhhh I SO watched that one to see you! That is awesome, true fun and class!! I am clearly jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Wow... did you really have to pick that picture of me? I look like I had way TOO much caffine! At that point in the day I hadn't even had any yet!
Kris

gretchenhs said...

Kris, it just looks like you are trying hard to keep your eyes open!

Jill said...

Kris, Gretchen is right! Or like you're thinking, "My mother and sister are crazy and I just put up with them." Either possibility works. :)

Actually, the other ones we took were all blurry...apparently we didn't need caffeine since we were bouncing off the walls already!

Jill said...

*Andrea, if you get a chance, go to the Ellen Show! It's a blast! I didn't get to see the episode, but my Mom watched it and said she got a glimpse of my sister, who is quite the dancer (even with a pregnant belly!). With such big celebrities that day, I don't think they had time to focus much on the audience.

*Gretchen, that's awesome! So glad you got some t.v. audience time as well -- I'd love to hear more! No prizes or giveaways for us. My Mom was so bummed as the day before, everyone got $100 gift cards! But that's okay -- it was a great experience. Julia was wonderful, just so much fun and truly beautiful. Wish you could have been with us! Oh, and that Liam guy was mighty cute -- great accent too! ;)

Anonymous said...

What about me?? I look like I'm trying to keep you two from escaping!!

It was so much fun, now a good memory.

Love, MOM

Diana said...

Ellen--how fun! Kate loves her & tries to schedule her naps around the show.
If it makes you feel better (and I don't see how it could), Liam Hemsworth is the boyfriend of Miley Cyrus, daughter of Billy Ray "Achy Breaky Heart" Cyrus. (I'm so glad to have had this opportunity to put things in perspective for you.) =)

Jill said...

*MOTHER DEAR!! So I'm not exactly in love with this photo of myself either...but we were making a memory, dammit!!! Let's focus on the fun, shall we?? Ha ha! :)

*Diana, I would love to schedule naps around a show too. Oh, to be three again!

And you are right; the Liam thing doesn't make me feel better...somehow knowing his girlfriend is Miley Cyrus makes my opinion of him plummet a bit!