Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mom's Day Away

While Jill is off in Burbank attending a TV taping (more on that in another post, I'm sure), I have had the rare opportunity to have the kids all to myself for two days. While I'm not used to it, and it is a little taxing on my schedule, I was able to get in a good day of work and still keep the kids educated, entertained and happy. When Jill's not here, the teacher's not here, so I had to find a way to put a little education in this day off. After breakfast I set up the computer and they used a website called starfall.com to play games and sing songs, all aimed at teaching them something. It gave me a good 3 hours of time in front of my own machine.

Then after I made a lunch of pancakes (the girls favorite, and something I may just have been told I'm the best-in-the-world at making), we watched a little PBS (and learned about habitats and what to do if you get separated on the subway) and headed off to the pool for an hour or so. One thing that always strikes me about this park is how friendly everyone is. Granted, it helps that I have just about the only grandkid-aged kids in the place, and that most of the park is full of Seniors snowbirding from Canada, but it is still nice how everyone treats the girls.


They had a big time using the park provided floaties and swimming around in the 80-degree pool. We got a few off stares because there is still the occasional senior that wants it just their way - quiet and non-splashy - but the vast majority of folks were very accomodating. It was nice to see the girls try to practice the stuff they learned from Pendleton again.

After swimming they had some time for sidewalk chalk, another favorite pastime that they don't get to do nearly enough. Erika made a masterpiece-sized painting while the little two tried to cover as much area as possible with colored doodles. All in all, fun for them, and 2 more hours of uninterrupted work for me.


Erika's 4 foot by 2 foot Masterpiece, a girl holding two horses, with the sun
coming through the heart-shaped clouds
We finished up with dinner early enough for some quiet reading time in their beds before lights out and Madelyn completed the full day by losing yet another tooth (I think that's number 172). At the dinner table we discussed how the day was pretty much like camp - no school, time in the pool, an art class and plenty of exercise.

As were wrapping up the day it was heartwarming how much the girls missed their mom. Throughout the day they interjected the occasional "I wish Mommy was here." At the end of the day they told me they couldn't wait for her to come home. I told them she'd be home to see them before morning, and that seemed to ease their minds. I can't wait to have her home too, I'm not sure I could do this for a week. ;)

1 comment:

gretchenhs said...

Rob, looks like you did a GREAT job! I would love to have a day like that too!
Erika's masterpiece is wonderful!