Thursday, March 15, 2012

Opportunities and pastimes...

Sometimes something comes up that you just have to try. We are on this journey - this adventure - and once-in-awhile, you just have to say... "why not?" (yes, that was a veiled 'Risky Business' reference...)

In the last several weeks I've gotten a couple of opportunities that I wanted to record in the blog. Just a short post about these three, but a record of them nonetheless.

First - about a month ago... I'm a "friend" (and fan) on Facebook of one of my favorite comedians, Eddie Izzard. I found out that he had wrangled a couple of special dates at a small club in LA to try out some new material, maybe work through some old jokes, so I bought a ticket on a whim. I would have brought Jill -- I wanted to bring Jill, but two things - 1. The show started at 11PM - she's not quite a night owl, and 2. Kids - we're not inclined to leave them alone. So I'm off to enjoy the show solo.

The best thing about the venue (Largo at the Coronet) was that it is quaint, very LA, and amazing all around. The picture shows the ENTIRE theater from the back row (I think there were 12 rows total). I had 4th row center, and couldn't have asked for better seats.


Before the show I spent a little time in the Bar at the theater (tiny, like 45 seats), and it took me three or four glances, but it turns out that the talent often visits the Bar before/after the show. There was Eddie, standing at the bar just 2 feet away, having a regular conversation with attendees - that's how tight this theater was. Anyhow - I'll just say that it was one of my better experiences of the trip, just for the sheer intimacy of the venue and how cool the opportunity was. The jokes were good, and an experience I'll never forget. (For what it's worth - I'd have provided better pictures, but the venue has a very stringent policy about technology - It seems to read... "During the show, if we hear, see, or even sense that you have a cellphone that's on, we will ::: humiliate you in the theater, kick you out of the theater, take your phone, make you break it, throw you out onto the sidewalk, and call the cops on you for trespassing..." ::: I've turned my phones all-the-way-off three times this entire trip - this was one--the other two were in National Parks with no reception. I had the sense that these people were not kidding. :) )


Second - just the other day... Most everyone knows that I like to play poker. Just as Jill likes to visit racetracks, I like to visit poker rooms. I haven't had as much opportunity to visit as many as I'd like, but I try to visit the big ones. The other night I decided that a visit to one of the premier venues in poker was too close not to experience. Anyone into poker knows that "The Bike" is probably the most famous cardroom on the West coast. I had to go, and while it was much more for the experience of the venue than the play, I had a great time. I played for a few hours in this room (they have like 12 other gaming rooms, all this big, many this full). It was a great experience, and one I hope to repeat...


Third - yesterday... OK, poker again... I've missed home games on the road. I used to play a home game just about every week before we went on this adventure. I expected to find a regular game at the RV parks we stayed at. That opportunity has not come up. So, when I found a Hold 'em game, scheduled, with a following, I had to check it out. Granted, it was a lot of "catch" (playing without much real strategy hoping that their hand is good, and then at the end 'catching' their Ace to make best pair), and the play and rules were a little different than what I was used to, but 65 people in a room playing poker reminded me about why I love the game. Yes, I was by far the youngest in the room, and I look forward to going back next week.

No comments: