Monday, March 26, 2012

Last Days in Hemet

Jill's Journal: Our girls sitting in one of my high school classrooms (W-2, for other fellow former students). I don’t think the desks have changed since I was there! How surreal to see it again.

Our last days in Hemet were so sweet. In fact (I can’t believe I’m about to say this as I couldn’t wait to get out of the town when I was a teenager), the time went too quickly. We came into Hemet with a list of nine people I very much wanted to spend time with and we literally ran out of time. We never had a chance to see two of those nine people at all, including a cousin. But, on the bright side, we really got quality and quantity time with the others. I’m so thankful for that.

We’ve gotten spoiled by wonderful time with my brother over the last month+. First in Yorba Linda and then in Hemet, Adam, Rob, and I have spent many an evening laughing and just hanging out after the girls were in bed. What a gift. The girls have gotten their share of Uncle Adam time during daylight hours too, although they would argue it wasn’t enough. I have to agree – I’m so thankful for Adam and am going to miss him so much. What a blessing to have not one, but two, fantastic siblings whom I absolutely love spending time with.

The girls and I got to spend one last day with Tammy, beloved Tammy. We met for a tour of the school and lunch…and when I first glanced at the clock, I couldn’t believe six hours had already passed. What a blessing to have such a lovely friend where time slips away so effortlessly…I’m thankful for Tammy too and I’m going to miss her also. There is something so special about old friends.

Then there was another entire day with Betty Ann, my early career mentor and self-proclaimed “big sister.” This is a darling, special lady who considers us family. First just she and I met for a long lunch to catch up uninterrupted and then she gathered troops together for a party at her house. She surprised me with people who I hadn’t seen in 20+ years and even produced kids for our girls to play with! Saying goodbye to Betty Ann (and Tammy and Adam) was hard.

I never dreamed our time in Hemet would be so delightful, truly. We are blessed.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Surreal, indeed. When I was in W-2 at the reunion, I was standing next to Gary, Carla, Chris, Alesa, etc...and all of our children. Talk about surreal! I have a picture of Ryan sitting there like your girls with Bridget's daughter & Andrea's daughter and I still don't quite understand how that's possible. And what is it about those darn yellow desks?! I think we should be buying all of our furniture from whoever makes them. Those things last forever!!

Jill said...

Diana, you definitely win. I cannot imagine how strange it must have felt to be there with old classmates...and their children! I'm sorry I missed it. Tammy wanted to take me around the school on a weekday to see a bunch of people and I said, "No way!" It was bizarre enough on a Saturday with no one around!

And yes, that yellow furniture...it just won't die. If California falls into the ocean someday (like "they" say it will), those yellow desks will be the only thing still visible, bobbing in the surf. :)