Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Old ‘Hood…sort of

Jill's Journal: It’s been so fun to be back in the old ‘hood. Well, sort of. I didn’t grow up here, but I did live and work in this area 20 years ago. My Mom, on the other hand, did grow up just west of here in the Artesia area, which is officially part of Los Angeles County. My now-deceased grandparents and a few other family members remained in the area, so I can’t even guess how many days/weeks/months I spent in the general vicinity as a child/teenager/young adult. It’s been wonderful to revisit so many memories, as well as many of the physical places, and share them with the girls, just as we did with Rob’s family’s area on the other side of L.A.

Other than memories, another of the biggest benefits to being here in Yorba Linda has been its proximity to my brother, who lives about 75 miles away in our hometown of Hemet. In the past two weeks, he’s passed through this area a few times and three or four of those times he’s stopped and just hung out with us. We’ve loved it and so have the girls. I’m not sure if Uncle Adam is reading Madelyn a bedtime story or if she’s reading him one in the picture above, but he’s awfully good with his nieces and we appreciate that so much. (His nieces, by the way, think he can practically walk on water. Oh my, do they adore him.)

2 comments:

Diana said...

Aw, sweet! I hope to get my kids an uncle one day...seems to be a tall order. =)

Jill said...

You'd think with three aunts for your kids, at least one of those aunts could oblige and cooperate... Really, is it too much to ask? :)